Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

91 to 97 4.3 engine swap

_Tom
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/27/10 11:57 PM

the 2 cars are 91 S10 and 97 GMC Jimmy

Basically need to know if they will swap easily. Will the 97 bell housing fit the 91 engine? and what electronics need to be swapped? I was thinking of swaping heads and intake so I can use the same ecu on the 97. If anymore info is needed let me know.

Thanks a lot.  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 03/29/10 06:09 AM

Yes, same bolt pattern for both engines. Heads and intake should also swap with no problems. The only issue might be with anything related to the balance shafts, but I think the '91 had them too, so you shouldn't have an issue.

All the bolt patterns are the same on the blocks though.  

_Tom
Posted: 03/29/10 05:35 PM

Awesome thanks, sounds good. Will the front ends swap out easy too?  

_Tom
Posted: 04/05/10 01:05 PM

Anyone?  

_Tom
Posted: 04/24/10 06:27 PM

Hello again, the timing gear and chain are different on the two engines. Will this cause any issue with swapping over the heads and intake from the 97 onto the 91 engine so the electronics all still work?  

Calin
Administrator
Posted: 04/24/10 08:00 PM

Check out http://www.s10forum.com/Rebuilding_the_Chevy_262.htm?s=de30e12320df6cd3cbe0a8bccb5de96f&. One of the members has put together a very detailed breakdown of the 4.3L. if you still have question or need different info just let me know. I'm building an 89 and I just recently swapped in a new engine. I will say pulling the engine and trans as a complete unit is a little easier that trying to separate the engine and trans. while its in the truck. Very little clearance between firewall and bell housing. The manual actually says to unbolt the body bushings and lift the body off the frame a little bit to access the bellhousing bolts. I got them out while in the truck without lifting body but looking back I should of just took out both together..calin  

_Tom
Posted: 04/25/10 09:25 AM

I have read this , its a great post. I can not tell though if having the 97 heads on the 91 block will be an issue though. Like the 97 has non adjustable rockers while the 91 does, also different lifters and cam. Will this make a difference with the push rods? Are they interference engines? Will the heads and valves etc.. work together? Or will I need to convert them to adjustable? It seems like they should but there could be details I am not aware of.

Thanks a lot for your help.  

_Tom
Posted: 05/02/10 10:34 AM

Calin? Anyone?  

_Tom
Posted: 05/25/10 01:07 AM

Well I figured I would post some results of this swap for anyone interested.

It does all go together well and fits with straight swapping as described. One major issue though is the Crankshaft Sensor. The 91 crank and timing cover have no provision for it and the 97 one does not fit on that block. So you need to get a Crankshaft Trigger Kit to get it working right when putting that block in the 97 for the computer to work. I suppose this would be true for any engine where you can't bypass the Crankshaft Sensor.  

TO TOP