Item Posts    Sort Order

Monte Carlo 40th anniversary special issue

70mcarlo
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/27/10 08:17 AM

As a long-time subscriber (fifteen years), and an even longer reader, I am writing to complain about your magazine’s lack of coverage on the Monte Carlo - although lately you've been getting better, i.e. the '71 Monte feature car that sporadically appears.  My complaint is not the first, and your typical editorial response has been “we just don’t see very many nice Monte Carlos” or “whatever works on a Chevelle would apply to the Monte Carlo as well.”  As to the first, there are several well-known Monte Carlo clubs, and you could contact them for possible feature cars, or actually send someone to cover one of their annual meets.  The second response is disingenuous at best, and could be applied to any Chevrolet product.
What generated this post, however, is that while you celebrate important milestones for other Chevy models, I have yet to see an acknowledgement of the 40th anniversary of the Monte Carlo’s introduction in September 1969 as part of the 1970 lineup within your pages.  For other models, an important anniversary is usually enough to generate a special issue devoted to that model, something that has never occurred in the case of the Monte Carlo.  Since you haven’t covered any of the Monte Carlo’s previous milestone anniversaries, I am not surprised.  
I would argue that in terms of high-performance, the Monte Carlo is one of Chevrolet’s most important models.  Besides the Corvette, can you name another that has a longer history of racing success?  The Monte Carlo is the car that got Chevrolet back into NASCAR in the early seventies, and it went on to become the model with the most wins ever in that series.  By the late 1990s and early 2000s, it remained the only car on the showroom floor that actually resembled what was on the track.  The Monte Carlo was also used extensively for short-track racing all around the country.  In my own neck of the woods, parts for first generation Montes disappeared from the junkyards 30 years ago for that very reason.
So how about a Monte Carlo special issue or a series of articles dealing with the history of the model given both its longevity as well as the fact that 2010 is the 40th anniversary of the model’s introduction?  Given the realities of magazine publishing schedules, you’re running out of time.  

redneckjoe69
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 03/27/10 03:25 PM

dale earnhardt did for the monte carlo, what smokey & the bandit did for the trans am. made it a legend!    excellent point. wheres the coverage?  

70mcarlo
Posted: 03/27/10 08:34 PM

Yes - the Intimidator began his NASCAR career in the Monte Carlo, and it ended 20-plus years later in a Monte Carlo - may he RIP.  

I get the appeal of Chevelles, Camaros, Novas, etc. - I am a Chevy lover, after all.  However, all the aforementioned models currently have, or have had magazines published by Super Chevy entirely devoted to them - this in addition to the coverage already in Super Chevy itself.  

The first generation Monte Carlos have often been described as being one of the most beautiful cars ever built, and its styling is reflected to some degree in all subsequent years.  I find this amazing for a model produced in so many variations.  The Monte Carlo has been big, intermediate, and small, rear wheel drive and front wheel drive, big-block, small-block, and V-6, was available in SS versions, etc. In other words, available in many different forms to suit a wide variety of tastes (I am partial to the first generation, but I find the other years appealing as well).  Surely the model deserves more coverage, hopefully in the form of a Super Chevy special issue devoted to it.  Hey - I can dream, can't I?  

redneckjoe69
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 03/28/10 04:12 AM

i have to admit some monte carlos look pretty sporty over the last years. maybe even better than the new mustang looking camaro. but that front wheel drive was the sale killer. the "general" should spend some time-out, in the corner, with the dunce hat on,for that one. the dale, jr.,& tony stewart editions? i wonder what they thought for real?  Confused       ive always felt the 84-87 models were the most interesting. of coarse the "ss". the bubble window,...man those are rare. lets not forget g.m. kinda took styling  over to the grand national,the regal,& cutlass. easy to work on, fun to customize.     no true chevy fan can say theyve never liked at least one model. your right, theyre running out of time. so wheres the coverage?  

70mcarlo
Posted: 03/28/10 05:32 PM

I like the 80's SS Montes as well - ahhh, the days when there was at least a "hint" of "stock" in stock car racing.

I really would love to see more coverage of the Monte Carlo.  I buy magazines dealing with other model Chevys all the time, i.e.  Chevelle magazine, Camaro Perfoermers, 55-57 specials, etc., because I love Chevrolets.  I would hope that other Chevy lovers would buy a Monte Carlo special edition for the same reason.  Maybe also because it has never been done before.  

chev1
Posted: 03/31/10 11:40 PM

my super chevy mags started in 1974 by mouthly and there is a need for monte carlo magazine on know one better then Doug Marion to do it he had the 70 in superchevy a more coverage om montes and in 1985 chevy backed the only dragcar in 85 used it for frist bow tie block test.Jim likes montecarlos to what happened to the killer 85 ss. know if a anniversary issue can,t be done maybe tie it in with the chevelle issue but don,t down play it. The montes i owned 1970/71/72/73/74/76/81/85ss/87/96 the 85ss and 96 still have on the chevelle side 1966/68/69/70 noves 1965/70ss/71 camaros 1968/71ss/73.so we need a anniversary issue the montecarlo great history  

chev1
Posted: 04/17/10 10:03 PM

To all monte carlo nuts GN Nationails in PA june .will have 40th Anniversary for the Monte carlo. I hope super chevy will do the same the a magazine.  

Monteman1971
Posted: 05/29/10 07:28 PM

I just started a separate thread after I got my July issue...they did 40 years of greatness on the 1970 Chevelle??? It's funny..in the pictures they use you can see the Monte's on the same assembly line.

Check out my thread....  

TO TOP