Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

main seal leaking

ecartie
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/05/10 05:17 AM

I just installed a rebuilt 327/300hp in my 64 chevy. The motor was rebuilt 2 years ago, but I don't know by ***
I cannot get the rear main seal to stop leaking. The block might have been honed (?)
Does anybody make a oversized rear main seal for a 327? FelPro has one for a 400   but I can't locate anything for the 327.  

redneckjoe69
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 03/05/10 06:56 AM

i hate giving advice on miracle in a bottle stuff, but...lol...had the same problem years ago on a 377. couldnt get it to stop leakin.didnt know about an "oversize rear main seal". so i tryed this stuff called,"bearin seal". it had a picture of a bear on it, think it was yellow. put it in my oil & it never ever leaked a drop again. maybe i just got lucky. most of that stuff usually dont work, you know," gain 50 horse with our b.s. product stuff." i wouldnt believe it if i wasnt there. maybe keep this as your last recourse.if fel-pro makes for a 400 they should make for a 327/350.did you try there web? called summit or the likes?  

waynep7122
Posted: 03/05/10 07:20 AM

i worked in an engine rebuilder a few decades ago...   one SBC ended up with a rear main seal leak...     there was a shop a few blocks away that did our warrantee work...  i sent over a new rear main seal.. pan gasket, oil and filter...  when they had installed it... it still leaked...   i told them to take it back apart...  but don't take off the rear cap till i get there...

took along another set of stuff..

when they pulled the rear main cap... i found the rear main seal was installed backwards... i ask them why they had put this one in backwards... they said.. they put it in.... like the old one came out..    doh!!!

fel pro makes 3 different seals...

Felpro / Rear Main Seals
Part Number: BS40013
Application: With double lip
Notes: 2 piece rubber.

Felpro / Rear Main Seals
Part Number: BS40655
Application: With single lip

2 piece rubber.
Felpro / Rear Main Seals
Part Number: BS11829-1
Application:  With double lip
Notes:2 piece rubber; offset; improved design.

you might have to check part numbers on those...  those look like large journal part numbers... and i think you have a small journal motor...

grab the casting number off the rear top of the block...     near where the bellhousing mounts up... post it...  

gettnlarge01
Posted: 03/05/10 09:33 PM

thats funny wayne. We done the machine work on a 250 chevy and a shadetree mechanic tried putting it together,he called asking why the rearmain seal would leak. He thought we did something to the block that would cause his problem,so we said bring it back but leave it together so we could check everything over. Sure enough the rearmain seal was in backwards!! We had to educate a 50yr old man on why seals only work one way.lol  
luck is when skill and opportunity meet

waynep7122
Posted: 03/06/10 06:02 AM

thats not the worst thing..

one little but quality machine shop... would put in steel freeze plugs unless the customer wanted brass versions .. for more money..

one buyer came back a few months later.. with a leaking steel freeze plug.. rusted through..     the old school machinist there told him to drill a hole in the freeze plug and use a slide hammer to pull it out..

the guy then complained that it had a coolant leak... pulled the motor and returned it to the shop...

he had drilled a hole... through the freeze plug.. the cylinder wall.. the piston skirt.. and into the rod..  i guess he needed a longer drill bit to do more damage...

the machinist sleeved that cylinder and put it all back together.. with a fresh set of brass freeze plugs..  but.. i still remember the piston with a hole in it..

and a tip .. behind the counter of most parts stores..  are Bags that contain small block chevy freeze plug kits.. with brass freeze plugs.. usually under 15 bucks..  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 03/06/10 06:54 AM

thanx for the laugh wayne! i needed that.  

gettnlarge01
Posted: 03/06/10 06:27 PM

thats insane wayne,,,LOL   The best advice given to me about dealing with customers is to explain everything in detail like you would tell a child to avoid or help avoid them doing something dumb just because they didnt knw.  thats still funny,Can you imagine what must have been going thru that guys head?  
luck is when skill and opportunity meet

TO TOP