Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Whats the best way to improve my 327 small block

chedna65
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/26/10 08:50 PM

I have a set of camel hump heads off another 327 that I want to put on my 327 that has been bored .30 over. Im looking to try and get close to 400hp out of the motor. I dont have alot to spend and would like to buy little by little and go with the cheapest route but still get around 400hp. Should I go with the camel humps and improve the cam or get a new set of heads and new cam? Also if I stay with the camel humps what work needs to be done to them. This is my first motor upgrade and dont know a whole lot about the numbers or what will do what. Im looking for some pro advise and dont know where else to ask. Im putting the motor in a 81 1/2 ton lowrider chevy stepside so its not going to be a drag truck just a mean street machine and show truck. Please any part combination or advise will be well apreciated. Also Ive been told to buy performance packs from edelbrock so everything matchs but I dont have $800 to $2000 to spend all at once so Id like to buy stuff little by little.  

gettnlarge01
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 02/28/10 06:07 PM

fixing the camelhump heads will cost around $400-$800 and thats without any port work. The next problem will be those heads dont have the boltholes in the end of the head for the alt and P/S to mount to. Buying a set of vortec heads will prob be the cheapest and best.  
luck is when skill and opportunity meet

mvbroadbill
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/22/10 07:30 PM

I built mine part by part it seems thats for us low buck guys.Price parts you want like cam and intake and look on ebay you can save a lot with a little patience. I've even seen a set of edelbrock victor jr heads with shaft mounted roller rockers go for under a $1000. So look learn and be patient. Good luck!  
Speed is just a question of money how fast do you want to go?

redneckjoe69
Posted: 03/23/10 02:39 AM

if you could save some cash for awhile, ive seen alot of nice motors for sale on craigs list. even some from engine shops, where the customer didnt pay, so theyre selling the motor for what theyre labor charge is. about the same cost of a nice set of heads! i agree, be patient. got anything to trade?  

gettnlarge01
Posted: 03/23/10 05:24 AM

Patience is your friend and will help keep cost down. Ebay and Craigslist both are good places to look but check out racingjunk.com too  
luck is when skill and opportunity meet

mvbroadbill
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 05/27/10 09:05 PM

ok just read a nice cheap build with a 350 a 327 comes out around the same but. vortec heads with a pocket port job. performer RPM vortec style intake manifold.comp cams XE268H cam. 1.5 rockers. Holley 750 carb. headman headers 1 5/8.
H.E.I distributor. 36 degree's timming=390HP and like 427 pounds of tork. with AFR 180 aluminum heads it came out to 416 hp. so take you choice hope this helps.  
Speed is just a question of money how fast do you want to go?

TO TOP