Item Posts    Sort Order

72 nova fuel tank lines ?

earleynova72
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 11/29/09 08:12 PM

put a 355 in 72 chevy nova running a 600 holley with manual fuel pump. the fuel tank has four lines comming out of it. can i just plug the ones except the one to the pump ??  

waynep7122
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 11/29/09 10:13 PM

what are your plans for the car..  ???? street driver.. race car...

what ever you do.. you will need some of the vents...

the big line is the suction line to the fuel pump.

another line is the fuel pump return line from the 3rd line on the fuel pump...   this prevents vapor lock...

a third line and possibly the forth line are connected to the carbon canister..   this prevents fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere.. like inside your garage...

i wonder what everybody else does.. just block them off..  probably...   but even race cars have fuel tank vents..  most of the hot rodders have some kind of carbon canister attached to the fuel vent... with a line to ported vacuum to pull off a tiny amount of vapors while the throttle is open..  

earleynova72
Posted: 11/30/09 07:09 PM

nova will be street driven, mostly to cruise in and to play with. was thinking just plug the lines and run a vented cap. any problems from this???  

waynep7122
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 11/30/09 08:20 PM

thats the way the older models were...

remember the ones with the gasoline stained license plates...  

what i really want would be for people to find later model threaded filler necks..  install them on these tanks...   since you cannot get leaded fuel ... the restrictor under the cap means moot...    but the threaded fillers necks don't leak... when you actually tighten the cap..  

one more thing... i was looking at the new fuel tanks..  i looked it up for a 72 with a 350 4bbl... one of those 7 MPG versions from the factory..  or was that the 73...   but the tanks don't seem to have anything ( at least in the pictures but a  place for the sending unit.. and the sending unit for those only have a single outlet..

i even found a supplier that sells the tanks for half the price as AZ.. i have not priced them else ware..  

earleynova72
Posted: 12/01/09 07:47 PM

hey thanks for the info. you are right had a 69 big block nova back when. 7 mpg was about it and who knows half of that might have gone out the filler. plan to drop tank this week end and see whats what.  

TO TOP