Item Posts    Sort Order

NEW HEAD BOLT INSTALL

po_choppa
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 10/10/09 05:36 PM

I JUST BOUGHT SOME NEW FELPRO HEAD BOLTS FOR MY 350 THAT HAVE SEALANT ON THEM ALREADY. DO I NEED TO ADD SOME SILICON TO THE WATER PASSAGE BOLTS? THE PAPER THAT COMES WITH THEM SAY DONT ADD ANY SEALANT OR OIL TO THESE BOLTS. BUT THERE IS NOTHING UNDER THE BOLT HEADS. WOULDNT I NEED OIL ON THEM?  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 10/10/09 06:07 PM

I always use arp thread sealer but if the bolts have sealer on them already then they should be fine installed like they are no need for oil on the bolts.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

waynep7122
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 10/10/09 08:46 PM

whats most important..  if the engine is on a stand... tip it over so the deck is straight up and down...  and run a tap into the bolt holes.. it is important to start it straight.. go all the way to the bottom...  backing up when it gets tight part way in.. then going farther..  until you clean the threads all the way to the bottom..   chevys are not tapped all the way through.. in some locations...  

the problem.. when installing new head bolts.. or having the heads or block surfaced...  the head bolts will go in just a tiny bit more than they were before... if you do not clean these extra threads ... when you put the head bolts in. the ends of the bolts may reach the dirt or corrosion in the threads... they will come up to torque pushing the dirt into the groove and leaving the head loose.....

the reason for turning the motor on its side on the stand.. is to prevent the debris that comes out.. from falling into the cylinder and wedging into the piston rings..

there area at least 3 types of taps...   taps with a long taper may not clean out the bottom threads...    bottoming taps are what i use.. as they clean up the hole well but just a normal tap will do.. just don't cross thread it.. it should turn in 5 or 6 turns without a lot of digging in..

also.. use a tee handle short or long.. just don't break the tap off in the hole by trying to hard..

7/16-14 is the chevy head bolt thread size...

i also use a tiny bit of lube under the heads of my head bolts..  i also use some on the threads on non coolant contact bolts..  antiseize...  arp paste...  with the correct torque reading for a lubed bolt..

so many different ways...   so many different opinions...  

po_choppa
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 10/11/09 07:28 PM

THANKS  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 10/14/09 10:51 AM

No problem.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

TO TOP