12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

another 383 stroker overheating

mlh0418
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/06/09 06:44 PM

I have a 69 Camaro with a 383 engine that overheats espicially when its hot outside. Even gets hotter with A/C on.It will continue to build heat untill it overcomes the 18psi pressure cap at about 218.Idling is worse and it runs some cooler at highway speeds. The block is 030 over with flat tops,comp 270 cam,Eldebrock RPM heads and intake,180 thermostat,Vintage Air front runner with REVERSE rotation Water pump,Entropy aluminum 2 row (rows are 1" wide)radiator with alum shroud and 2-11" Spal electric H.D. fans pull type. Eldebrock 650 thunder series carb and base time is at 8 btc.This is all brand new motor and parts and Im running out of ideas. Any suggestions ?  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 07/06/09 07:00 PM

Frist off 8 degrees initial timing is a little low and will cause a over heating issue I would set the initial timing at 12 degrees.
I would also try a 160 T- stat in place of the 180.
are you using a direct drive bolt on fan or just the electric fans.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

mlh0418
Posted: 07/06/09 07:08 PM

I had the time on 12 and heating was worse. The fans are electric H.D. output.I will try a 160 stat tomorrow.  

85_trans_am
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/07/09 01:11 PM

need to ask a few Q.
I think your carb is to small. you might be running to lean.
What rpm are you takeing it up to. (motors red line)
What kind of heads, intake,and headers Primary and colecter size.
If this doesn't help I have a few thing that will help.  

chevelle83
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/07/09 06:11 PM

Wow!!! with all of these 383s overheating I am not far from throwing the idea of building one out the window. I have had less trouble keeping big blocks cool. And every one is running what seems to be quality cooling system products. An aluminum 2 row radiator should put ice sickles on a small block.  

D327
Posted: 07/08/09 10:00 AM

Running rich or lean, you should still have flow. I have had a new t-stat fail after a month. The 160 stat recommended previously should help. Are the fans kicking on at the desired temp? Any possible blockage issues? A friend and I did a stroker for his pickup with a stock radiator, stock fan and a 160 stat; running cool for 6 mo. now. Good luck.  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 07/08/09 10:54 AM

It's not the 383 that's the problem here, especially with aluminum heads.

I'm wondering about the reverse rotation water pump. Have you tried a standard rotation pump to see how well it helps keep the engine cool?

I'd also suspect maybe a radiator issue. If changing the pump doesn't help, I'd suggest trying a different radiator.

And the most basic thing, what kind of coolant/water mixture are you running?  

kosovoal2002
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/10/09 02:24 AM

Hmmm , If you look at the listing under kosovoal2002, I had the same problem. I did get a lot of good advice from the one's helping me figure out what to do. I had an edelbrock carb on it, I think it was the 650 or something close to that. I replaced it with a 750 holley but could not get the thing to tune out the way it should of. Due to my time home, I put on a 650 Holley that seemed to help. The temp problem I had was about the same as what you are having. Not only did it reach beyond 230 at first, I now have it around 210-215 with a seven pound radiator cap on a three core radiator. I did replace the HEI distributor with a MSD box and distributor. I have the stock water pump with a new clutch fan . Since I put in the 180 thermostat, Im guessing if I put in the 160, it may help. Other than that,,,,may check the reverse water pump set up, and also check to make sure your hoses are not collapsing causing a restriction.  With all the imput from the others, I did get the temp down some. I did purchase a heat gun from Northern tool that gave me an idea of what the temp was at the radiator , and block. Just point the laser and it gave out a reading. I found that for now,,,,my heat problem that is keeping it close to 210-215 may be comming off the 520 degree heat off the headers. When I get state side the next time,,,,im going to wrap the headers to see if it helps. But for the time being,,,,,,it is parked.  

heshtesh
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/10/09 04:14 PM

I can't help but keep paying attention to the problem's you guy's are having keeping your 383's cool especially after all the thing's you've done to try to bring down the temp.I know it would be a big hassle but if you have a multi index on your timing set i might want to check that you don't have it advanced by mistake.On my 383 i utilized the stock serpentine setup for a 90 chev 1/2 ton pickup don't know if it's reverse flow but with a 180 thermostat it runs at 182 no matter outside air temp with unwrapped ceramic coated headers.Best of luck to you.  

85_trans_am
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/10/09 07:04 PM

A little tip for all 383 stroker guys. just like and motor that you will build. make sure your timing and fuel is right. follow your cam sheet don't just line the marks up. you can get a timing chain with a degree offset. cam timeing is just as importamt as crank timing. For example; my 383 that is putting out right at 700 hp. only runs on +4 degrees. My last 383 was about 450 hp and ran on +2 degrees. My buddies 383 is around 500 hp and run on -3 degrees. Your cam timing can make your 383 run hot buy possibly keeping burned air/fuel in the chamber longer than needed.

Your crank timing is adjusted by the dist. of corse. this cam make it run hot by making you motor fire at the wrong time.

And you motor run lean will also make it run hot.

These are 3 of the most overlooked things that can cause an overheating motor.  

heshtesh
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/10/09 07:48 PM

Thank's 85_trans_am you expressed it in a much more detailed manner than i did,i won't bother mentioning it again.  

85_trans_am
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/11/09 08:52 AM

Was just backing up what you said heshtesh. And I'm running out of ideas as well.  

mlh0418
Posted: 07/13/09 06:30 PM

The cam timing is right by the cam sheet.... This engine runs like a beast. It pulls great it Idles great but when you stand on it I get some black smoke and fuel smell like its getting plenty of fuel.  This is a AVS thunder 650 carb. I put in a 160 stat and it didnt help. The radiator is flowing real good but sttill to much heat. Now Im thinking about a 4 row aluminun radiator that I found with a 16" 3600 CFM fan. What do you think????  

85_trans_am
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/14/09 01:47 PM

I wouldn't change out the rad. and fans just yet.

About the carb. I personaly don't put anything less than a 750cfm on any 383 I build. The first one I did had an Eldebrock 600 and blew the thing up in a week, and a 650 is not to far off that.

If you want to keep the carb start metering it up. Befor you do put the plugs and read them. You want them to be around a dark amber color. Wight is lean and you need bigger metering rods put in the carb. Don't trust the smell. That could just be your crank case blowing out. your going to need a metering kit for that.

Set your total timing to 36 to 38 degrees and try that.

post back with what you come up with.  

rayhoma
Posted: 07/15/09 09:28 AM

63 nova 383 stroker, runs hot:  350 auto trans, 2800 stall, 3:90 rear end, 9:60 comp. edelbrock alum. heads, holley 750cfm carb. 36degrees total timing, 34"wide,18"tall,2"thick alum. brass radiator, 18" mech. flex fan with shroud, trans. lines go directly to trans cooler in front of radiator, bypassing radiator, found this helps a little with temp., thinking of going to alum. radiator, with dual electric fans? then realized how much heat hooker uncoated fenderwell headers were making, options new coated headers, have headers on car coated, try to wrap headers while still on car, first 2 options, would require removal of motor.  thanks for any input  

12 Last
TO TOP