Item Posts    Sort Order

REPLACE 1 PIECE REAR MAIN SEAL..

po_choppa
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 08/03/09 04:08 PM

WHAT IS EASIEST WAY TO CHANGE WITHOUT THE REMOVAL/INSTALATION TOOL, OR IS IT A MUST TO HAVE THE TOOL? DO I HAVE TO TAKE OFF THE PLATE TOO?  

waynep712
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 08/03/09 08:23 PM

use a pair of drywall screws to pull it out.. be totally careful not to damage the crank... or the housing..

take the screws out of it...   as you are going to use the old seal as a driver for the new one...

i usually clean the exposed end of the crank with a clean shop towel... some brake clean...  

i pack the  back side of the seal with assy lube or some kind of grease.. this stops the garter spring from bouncing off when you drive it in..

i lube the inside of the seal with the same grease..  and smear a tiny bit on the crank .. being careful not to get it on the housing bore...

i then use superweather strip adhesive around the outside of the seal to hold it in place once i drive it in...  

carefully work the seal over the end of the crank without cutting the seal...  move it into place.. with your thumbs..

then take the old seal.. place it up there and tap the old seal back and forth.. or around in a circle to drive the new seal in even with the face of the housing ....   if the housing has a relief cut.. sometimes i go a little farther.. i almost always... smear the excess super weather strip adhesive around the outside of the seal and the housing.. to prevent it from slipping out... it is important not to get any on the crank surface.. or seal surface...

beware....   some flywheel bolts  holes are drilled all the way through the crank so if the flywheel bolts on these applications are not installed with some sealer..  they tend to leak oil..

if you have strong thumbs.. you can push the seal into the housing.... sometimes....

for those super chevy readers... if you ever have to do this job on a honda.. find a dealer and buy a factory rear main seal... same installation.. but after market seals are a bit softer.. and i have had to redo too many leakers that never made it off the rack...  

68scott385
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 08/03/09 08:26 PM

there is a double hooked seal removal tool that is available from places like napa, autozone, pepboys, and of course the high end tool suppliers

if you gently work the new seal into place evenly with a large diameter punch it should work without having to pull the plate/oil pan

works on other brands of motors, should work on chevys

flat-rate pay means there will ALWAYS be parts left over  Crazy  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

po_choppa
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 08/03/09 08:42 PM

thanks guys
im going to give it a shot. cant be that bad.  

TO TOP