Ad Radar
12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

305 vs. 350 - Let the debate rage on!

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 04/10/08 12:18 PM

After reading a post in the Purple Haze section from someone who's not happy with me selecting the 350 crate motor for the car, and waving the battle flag for a 305 stroker V-8, I figured I'd open this up and see what you all thought.

305 versus 350, from cheap to moderate to high dollar, state your case for which is better.  

LOVEmyCHEVY74
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/10/08 02:17 PM

Depends on your application.... Obviously on the power side the 350 no matter how much you are going to spend is going to give you the best possibility for more power. The 305 not being too far behind in power will get you better gas mileage. Although the 350 virtually could get the same gas mileage with the right compression, running a little lean, and an HEI electric system the 305 will still get you the better gas mileage. I believe the 350 small block chevy is the best engine mass produced besides maybe the 340 Hemi.  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 04/14/08 01:13 PM

Uh, there was no 340 Hemi, do you mean the 340 LA motor? Yes, that was a good engine, but never saw the life of the 350. If you were gonna pick a Mopar engine to go toe-to-toe with the 350, you'd have to go with the 318 LA and Magnum V-8s, they were the work horses for Chrylser until they were phased out of production this decade.

But, still, the small block Chevy/350 is the cheapest motor to build, hands down at any level. Second would have to be the Ford 302 Windsor engine, then the 318/360 Chrylser LA/Magnum motors.  

leviakashock
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/14/08 02:33 PM

hello,

i am the guy that inspired this thread.  it is nice to know my voice matters. lol

no but really i know that the 350 is a better motor to put money into form the get go if you have a 350 block and a 305 block and you want to get the most power for your money the 350 has more capabilities and if you do the same mods to each motor the 350 will have better results.  i know all this. i just have the same 1991 camaro and it has the 305 in it so i have the opinion of staying with that motor and doing the best i can with it. and i am totally against buying crate motors.  to me all the joy comes from doing it myself, i feel like buying a motor from someone else or paying someone else to build you a fast motor is cheap it is like cheating.  to me there would be no joy in that.

but i agree that the 350 is a better motor for the money if only because it is so popular that the parts are way cheaper.  I mean the ones that don't work for both such as stroker kits and pistons.  

LOVEmyCHEVY74
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/15/08 03:49 PM

Gotcha 55 Guy I was always told it was a 340 Hemi. I also agree with what you are saying about fixing it yourself. I am doing the same thing with a 74 Nova. I am building it from the front-back and the frame-up. There is nothing better and more pride fulfilling thing than building your own car.  

leviakashock
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/15/08 07:30 PM

absolutely! I'll give you a big WORD!!! on that.  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 04/16/08 01:53 PM

Now I'll say this, if all you have to work with is a 305, there's nothing wrong with making it the best 305 possible within your budget. I'm a big fan of making do with what you've got in most situations, unless keeping what you've got is so totally illogical you have a seizure!

I'm a bit of a gun nut, and this debate is much like the one guys have about an M1 Carbine versus an M1 Garand. Guy will talk about how the Carbine is underpowered and has no range. Well, it was never meant ot be used as a full rifle. It was meant to give rear echilon people something with a little more close range pop than a 1911, and more ammo capacity. These guys couldn't handle an M1 Garand.

A 305 is the same way. It was never designed to make blistering horsepower numbers. It was dedigned to make plenty of bottom end torque and low RPM power to move anything GM put it in, and meet emissions standards. You honestly can't expect it to do the same thing a 327 or 350, or even a 283 for that matter, will do.  

leviakashock
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/16/08 03:59 PM

now this i basically disagree with.  i believe that i can get 700 hp out of my 305.  whether or not i can afford it is another story but if i can finance the plans that i have i will get that kind of power out of my all forged 335 stroker motor with twin turbos and i do not plan to remove the tbi only upgrade.

it will probably not be finished until sometime in 2010 because after i get this 320 hp 305 into the car and running  - which should be in the next week or two- i am going to start strictly on interior and body work.  i am going to get either an SS ram air hood or the ws6.  and  lambo door hinges.  and i need quiet a bit of body work and paint.  inside i need a lot of junk yard parts a new dash cover new carpet and new front seats.  so i am looking at probably $3000.00 - $4000.00 before i even get back to go fast parts.
      right now i have spent about $2500.00 on this car and i gave my self a $15000.00 budget to begin with so we will see where i end up i plan to add a 150 shot nitrous kit to the drive train after the motor and twin turbo is complete.  then it will be off to find a 1981 z28 to build my next project.  i am thinking with the prices so low right now i might buy the 1993 z28 at the same time as i buy my 1981 because i could pick one up with the multi port fi for less than 3 grand right now.  so this would be the time.  if i wait another 3 years i might be paying more.  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 04/17/08 11:36 AM

I was talking naturally aspirated, when you throw turbos/blowers/nitrous into the mix, then the whole game changes.  

leviakashock
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/17/08 01:04 PM

okay i see what you mean.  okay well naturally aspirated i definitely agree with you.  the 305 is what it is supposed to be low end torque high gas mileage.  you are right.   you can still get  a little out of them.  maybe 400 with some good heads.

hey man you are the one with the hook up.  is there  anything i can do with my red leather oe seats rather than replace them.  they are terribly worn and i think the cushion may even be distorted after the years of use.

i know you have some other options that will sound good.  let me know.  

metric-nuts
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/19/08 10:03 AM

might I add a 305 the heads are what I would use to pump up a 350 and that is that... take the 305 (carburated) and take the heads and dump the rest now I think we have something to talk about... Smirk  

leviakashock
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 06/20/08 04:18 PM

what?  i mean i see words in english but i am not sure that you are speaking our language because you made absolutely no sense whatsoever.  could you clarify a little?  

Mike_Harrington
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 06/21/08 05:03 PM

A cups or C cups? 305 or 350, you choose, but I think the choice is obvious here.  

kev0077
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/22/08 02:31 PM

Well said all in all the 305 was never built to make big power... anybody who thinks different reminds me of the guys that try to make race cars out of thier mom's civic it wasn't made for that so quit it. As far as crate motors go dont get down on those guys either we all know and have had trouble putting things together and for the price sometimes your better off to go with the crate I meen when you can buy a 290hp 350 crate motor built by GM from pan to carb for $2400 with a warranty whats wrong with that sounds like a hell of a good starting place to me. The bigger qurestion is why are we having this debate over 350 vs 305 when there are still prople out there that will throw away a 2 bolt 350 just to get a 4 bolt 350 theres a debate for you. Just goes to show that no matter the issue somepeople are set in thier way and no advice is going to sway them. With that said I'll be sticking with my 350's and destroked 400's thank you very much.  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 06/27/08 07:57 AM

Hmm, interesting thought, I'll start that thread right now!  

12 Last
TO TOP