Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

vacuum connections on 81 Quadrajet

plukr54
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/17/09 07:07 PM

I have an 81 C10 Pickup with a 350 quadrajet. Seems to be starving for gas. Looks as if there are some vacuum hoses missing. Can some one help me with a diagram of what should be where?  Thanks in advance for any help  

chevelle83
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 01/17/09 08:00 PM

If you are trying to hook everything up factory you need to get a repair manual for your truck and it should have a vacuum hose diagram. If not, all you need to operate the truck is vaccum advance, brake booster, PCV valve, transmission modulator, and cap off the rest. If the carb is starving for gas you have other issues, like dirty fuel filters, low fuel pressure, or if the carb is factory original it may need to be rebuilt and  recalibrated. Most of them that old do.  

plukr54
Posted: 01/18/09 07:28 AM

Thanks chevelle83 for the info. This truck has had an electric fuel pump installed, which I think is causing the problem. Just wanted to make sure I had all the vacuum hoses in place to eliminate that problem. I have changed the filter but will look into rebuilding the carb. Any tips or info on that? I have a Haynes manual that covers things in general. Thanks again and I will probably be posting again in the future.  

chevelle83
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 01/18/09 06:27 PM

On the carb. I have not had good success rebuilding     Q-JETS or at least calibrating. I started using Shean Merphy Induction for my carbs, every thing I own has a q-jet carb on it, I have one on my 86 K10 it gets 15 mpg these carbs flow 750 cfm. You can send in yours to have it rebuilt and recalibrated if you want.  

waynep712
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 01/20/09 03:37 AM

there are a ton of different vacuum diagrams for early 80's chevy pickups...

any chance that the emission label is still on the air cleaner or fan shroud..
there is a number in the corner of that label that describes which motor...
there are various motors installed in different chassis ... so make . model. tonnage 2  or 4 wheel drive... stick or manual trans... california or US epa ... feed back carb??   look at the upper left corner of the emission hose label...  the one linked below is a DW...

a lot of people swap 305s for 350s and larger ... the feed back carbs really are hard to rejet for the increase in motor displacement...  

you can also try to get the stamped in numbers from the cylinder block deck area behind the alternator... there will be two rows of numbers... write them all down.. see if the smaller set matches the end of the  vin number... if so.. what are the

take a look at this link...   might be close...

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//0900c152/80/04/c3/d5//large/0900c1528004c3d5.gif        highlight... copy and paste this in a new window to view it...

there are a bunch of others over at autozone.com ... look in the repair info...  at the bottom of the emission controls menu...

if pm me as much data as you can...  i will have a look in my manuals.. with an email address... so i can forward you a link or a diagram...  

plukr54
Posted: 01/23/09 05:54 PM

waynep712 Thanks for the reply. I found one at Autozone web site.  Think I got it figured out.  Thanks again.  

TO TOP