Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

1998 GMC pollution canister/ABS problems..AGAIN

kosovoal2002
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/16/08 11:44 PM

My boy has a 1998 GMC 1500 4 wheel drive. He attempted to fix the serp belt as it came off and damaged the pollution canister. The plastic fittings that goes into the canister is broke beyond repair. The lines are tapped off at the moment. Will this cause the vehicle to burn more fuel or cause it to not operate right? Now, the other problem. I had problems with the abs brakes and the help on here gave me some good info. I replaced the hubs and sensors on the front. It appeared to be working good till I returned back to the sand pit after leave status. Now the ABS light comes on. With the two front hubs and new sensors replaced, i also had the speed sensor in the trany replaced. I did go purchase an ABS code reader but will not be able to use it till I am back in the states. Any idea of what else could be wrong with this? Could it be in the rear brakes now? I am in hopes of getting this figured out with a little help from you guys. My last leave status home cost me over 500 bucks of china produced parts off the Napa racks. Any help would be appreaciated. thanks  

waynep712
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 11/17/08 09:11 PM

yes.. the hoses to the canister will cause some problems... check engine light on... and fuel economy...  

when the check engine light is on... the ecm reduces fuel economy... to prevent engine damage...  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 11/18/08 08:23 AM

You can hit the local slavage yard and find the evap/purge canister off a truck to replace the damaged one.

On the ABS lights, sometimes the rear wheel sensors will get covered by brake dust and screw things up.  

kosovoal2002
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/20/08 03:43 AM

Thanks, when I get home, I will check the junk yard for the canister. On the brakes, I will pull the rear off clean the sensors. When it comes to the ABS, I find it is a learning experience. thanks.  

waynep712
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 11/20/08 01:08 PM

there are so many things that could go wrong with an abs that will turn on the light... and i think the speed sensor for the rear is on the rear axle not the back of the transmission...    the speed sensor on the back of the transmission is for the speedometer and the ecm ...

paste this link into a new window...

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm

you will find they offer free repair info for you truck...  in their repair guides... and they do cover the antilock system... so you can learn remotely..

thanks...

wayne...  

kosovoal2002
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/04/09 03:35 AM

Just a follow up on the purg/canister and brakes. I did purchase an ABS tester to find that my left front speed sensor had an open circuit. I purchased the hub and sensor from napa a few months as I thought by doing this, it would be a done deal. Napa mentioned that I could bring in the sensor and they would replace it. I replaced the sensor on the left side and now it is working.

While home on leave in January,,,,,,,,I went to two junkyards in the area and walked through the Ohio snow drifts to come up empty. I just need the square purge canister. One Junk yard told me good luck. They were taking the front clips off and selling them as a complete unit. That means that they would not consider taking a purge canister off.  Is there any place that I can get a new one? Now, this is the square one with a long plastic hose that goes to the back of the intake.  Thanks  

TO TOP