Item Posts    Sort Order

2000 Silverado Problems

cihlitz
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/25/08 07:03 PM

I recently bought a 2000 Silverado 1500 and have a couple questions/concerns.

1. My wife was driving it and pulled into a gas station and tried to apply the brakes and they went completely stiff and she couldn't stop. (Lukily did before running to into the gas station). I did a little research and found that it could be the wheel speed sensor. How would you determine which one it could be or does any one have any other opinions on what it could be?

2. I noticed when shifting from park to reverse or drive that there is a little clunk. My brother-in-law said it sounded like it was coming from the transfer case.

3. I also noticed a thud when I take off or brake in the rear end.  The same guy said it sounded like a bushing.  

Sorry if this is a little vague but I am tired and would like to see if anyone will reply before I write an essay on these problems.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  

waynep712
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 08/25/08 10:10 PM

change the front speed sensors     they are a lot cheeper than sheetmetal...
yours and the other guys..

it could be several other things... but those are the most likely without a ABS system scantool...  not just a code reader... the one that does a great job is a tech 1 or tech 2..

they can actually look at live data from the wheel sensors.. while someone drives it... they probably cost what you payed for your ride used...

you can see one drop out... or go crazy..    a lot of better shops have them... along with most of the dealerships...     if the guys there knew how to properly use them that is another question...

change the sensors...   yea.. i said it before...

as for the clunk... that is also a problem... i have forgotten the fix...   something like the driveshaft being a tiny bit too long and it shoving the yoke in to the output shaft under some accel or braking situations...      measure the distance the yoke is sticking out of the trans rear seal...  if you have some Orings the right size.. you can pull the driveshaft and place a tight fitting oring on the yoke..    put it up agenst the seal  and drive it around the block... see how far it moved....  do not try to look under the truck while it is being driven... too many mechanics wound up in the driveshaft ...   don't become another...  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 08/27/08 10:32 AM

The clunk has to be the transfer case, a buddy of mien with a 4x4 Wagoneer is having the same thing right now, and the diagnosis was a loose chaie in the transfer case.  

cihlitz
Posted: 08/28/08 06:16 PM

Thanks a lot for the help! I ended up taking in to the dealer and they found numerous problems including:

Idler Arm
Inter Tie Rod end
Hub (includes wheel speed sensor)
Pitman Arm
Backing Plate (Is this for the Emergency brake?)
Brake Pads
Brake Rotors
Outer Tie Rod

Not exactly what I was wanting to hear.

I have a little experience in repairs. I have family and friends who know quite a bit about these things but does anyone know if there are any special tools I will need for replacing the Tie Rods, Hub, Pitmand Arm, or the Idler Arm???

Anymore help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!  

cihlitz
Posted: 08/28/08 06:22 PM

Also, about the chain in the transfer case.  What am I looking at price wise, labor wise to fix this issue??  

waynep712
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 08/30/08 10:45 AM

this is a simple brake job with a bunch of new parts....  i would get a second opinion... that is a lot of parts...  if they are worn.. that is one thing...

did the dealer test the antilock brake system with a tech one or tech 2 scan tool to verify that the speed sensors are bad...

the most exotic tool you may need is a strong enough torx tool to loosen the bolts that hold the hub to the spindle..    looks like the hubs are almost 200 each at parts stores..
if it is a 4 wheel drive you may have to get a big socket to remove the front cv shaft nut...

the steering linkages come off with a pickle fork...   or tie rod fork.. the pitman arm needs a pitman arm puller.. and probably a 1-5/16" socket..

there are instructions over at autozone.com under repair info..  

cihlitz
Posted: 09/01/08 01:35 PM

Awesome got everything except the rear brakes because the backing plates are just about totally rusted out so I'm going to get those this week and finish next weekend.

In regards to the transfer case.  It sounds like a complete headache replacing the chain. Any ideas on just how bad its going to be and any special precautions/tools I will need.  

TO TOP