Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

How to remove rocker arm studs

Beaumont
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 11/12/07 06:22 PM

Hi I would  like to know the proper way to remove rocker arm studs out of a chevy 350 cylinder head, stock I believe. Preferably without removing the cylinder head from the engine.  Seems the rocker arm was loose and has begun to saw its way through the stud. Thanks  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 11/14/07 07:37 AM

That's a tricky situation. The problem is, even if you get the factory pressed in stud out, you still have to press in a new stud, or machine it for a screw-in stud, you need to have the head off the motor.

Your best course of action is to bite the bullet, yank both heads, and take them to a machine shop to have screw-in studs installed. At the least, yank the one head and take it to a machine shop to have the one bad stud changed.  

78shortbox
Posted: 10/15/09 10:13 PM

I seen a video on you tube that shows a guy from the Eastwood company with a small block chevy head that he just pulled the old studs out and tapped the holes for a 7/16 roker arm stud. the stud was threaded on both ends with no hex in the middle,just straight. No machining other than pulling out the old stud and taping the hole!  

waynep7122
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 10/16/09 07:24 AM

there is a problem....   you can pull rocker arm studs with the head on...  but... you really need a tool with full thread engagement ..  if you try to use a stack of washers and a regular nut.. you will pull the threads out of the nut and damage the threads on the stud to make it even harder to get out...

i have gotten them out with tall connecting rod nuts and stacks of washers.. but with care...

if you have a lathe... or a friend with one..   get a 5/8 to 3/4" fine thread grade 8 bolt.. (six stripes on the head)   have it drilled out and tapped to 3/8-24...   threaded to the full length of the tap threads..    you can then use this with some flat fender washers over the stud and a length of pipe that fits over the bolt... to pull the stud out..

you can generally use the same tool with a stack of washers to limit how deep you drive the new pressed in stud...

if you want to use a screw in stud...   you have to do the studs one at a time...  with a guide tool... they are available..

look at goodson.com...    other people also sell the tool...  this way.. you tap the stud hole straight..

when i ran the cylinder head department.. i had one customer bring in his heads.. he had installed screw in studs at home..  and got them all in crooked...

at the machine shop.. we had a stud puller... it was a port o power with a piston that an adaptor could pass through.. i was looking at the harbor freight hydraulic hole punch..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96718    

i was thinking if the diameter is right to fit between the studs..

if you want to put in guide plates.. you also have to remove some metal from the stud bosses..

are your rocker arm studs damaged... with a groove in the shank where the rocker arm falls over and off the valve????  

tony1996
Posted: 01/30/13 10:43 AM

how far do you have to mill the the bosses for guide plates? and im in high school taking machine shop and i tried turning the bolt and threading it and it just broke the factory stud ive also tried the washer and nut trick im not totally sure what else to try my father told me i might have to cut it and bore it out to the original size and tap it for screw in studs anyone have any sugestions?  

pepsi68
Posted: 02/01/13 03:30 PM

You can pull the stud out without a problem. You can use flat washers and keep stacking them up, or a socket that will fit over the stud.

Then add flat washers to it until you pull the stud loose.

What you need is a bottoming tap.

That tap is called a flat bottom tap. The threads run all the down down the tap so you can cut threads all the way to the bottom.

Please Note: I would suggest cutting a few threads then removing the tap. Then clean the threads and the hole your threading this will stop the metal from stacking up and possibly cracking the stud boss from the excess pressure.

If the stud wobbles in the threaded hole you over cut the threads. Unless you can use an epoxy sealer you may have to retap the stud boss oversized....

Bob  

pepsi68
Posted: 02/01/13 08:35 PM

If your replacing the rocker arm with stamped steel. Check the slot for and burrs or metal hanging over in the slot. You can remove any burrs or hangers with a file or a die grinder whichever you perfer.

Bob  

pepsi68
Posted: 02/01/13 08:36 PM

If your replacing the rocker arm with stamped steel. Check the slot for any burrs or metal hanging over in the slot. You can remove any burrs or hangers with a file or a die grinder whichever you perfer.

Bob  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 02/02/13 05:00 AM

looks like its .375"  off the top of the bosses on a small block chevy..

you might want to check this link...

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9440

there is a neat tool to keep the rocker studs aligned for drilling and tapping..

978364305 125

and one of several designs of stud pullers..

Ravoll
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/06/13 09:14 AM

If your going the threaded stud route,I really would measure the original installed stud height, and mill the bosses so the new studs + guide plates have the same installed height.
or...
If you can get on center of the broken stud,and step drill it up to 11/32 or so
you can fish the rest out.Just don't damage the original hole diameter.Then  carefully drive in a new stud to height and "Pin "it.Use a little Permatex in the hole and on the new stud before you run it in. If you pay attention to what your doing,don't drill past the original stud diameter (3/8)into head material,and careful about where your metal shavings go,you can do this with the heads on.A Perfect Getaway.....maybe.

Tip: Drain your radiator if you do this with the heads on.When you drill through
the stud there will be water coming out of the hole if you don't.

Either way a few hours work at best.Maybe quicker to get another head or two.  
The older I get,the faster I was.

AEROHEADJIM
Posted: 02/14/13 08:10 AM

You need to mill the total thickness of the plate and the hex thicknees of the studs
Jim Hill AEROHEAD RACING  317-862-0226  

TO TOP