Item Posts    Sort Order

Our New Project

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 06/07/07 10:33 AM

Hello all!

If you're here that means you've seen the first story on our new budget project. The goal is to build an enjoyable street cruiser that anyone can afford, including the cost of the car. That's why we chose a 3rd Gen Camaro. 3rd Gens are some of the cheapest, and most plentiful performance cars out there, and for a small investment you can have a solid foundation for a weekend project car.

As we do various mods and improvements, we'll be doing chassis dyno, slalom, and drag strip testing to show everyone the exact benefits of everything we add to our '92.

If you're wondering about the name "Project Purple Haze", that's because our car is piainted in the factory color of purple haze, offered only in 1992, the last year for the 3rd Gen body style. We're sure there are a few people snickering out there at the name, so all we can say is, if you've got a better idea for a name, post it here on the Super Chevy message board and if it is better, we'll consider a name change.

So, let us know what you think, and if you have a similar project going on (or thinking of starting one) feel free to post your questions comments to our Project Purple Haze section here on the message board.  

tjnowlin
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/11/07 12:13 PM

Hey guys,
          I am a 21 year old soldier serving our country in Afghanistan right now.  I have always wanted a 92 camaro but was afraid of the money involved iin making one run like new.  I've done a lil research and realized it's not that expensive, but I plan on gettin married when i get home and need to save money.  But I have always wanted this car and this is what I am giving myself for the year i spend here.

I am thinking about putting in a 350 but I have no idea what kind of transmission to put in it.  I know i want it to be an automatic.  Also i know i'll need a new rear end.  something like a 9 inch.  Any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.  Or links to sites that talks about this stuff, anything would help.  Thanks everyone.  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 06/11/07 12:36 PM

Just stay tuned to our series, we're gonna cover all the things you've asked about.

Good luck in Afghanistan, and thanks for keeping America safe!  

leviakashock
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/09/08 05:44 PM

hey there,

I just wanted to say that i was all about this project when i read the title and the first page and looked at the pics and then i get to the second page and before you have even started working on the car you are already talking about the 350 crate motor you ordered.  I think you guys are so out of touch with people who actually have to spend their hard earned money to get this stuff done that you don't even actually remember what "budget build" means.  Why not build the 305?  Stroke it out put some aluminum fast burn heads on it.  I mean in the May 2007 issue of "camaro performers"  they spent $1500.00 on a 305 with only bolt ons and a dyno tunning and brought the 305 up to 375 hp.  

You totally disappointed me with the whole "350 crate motor" thing.  You guys should put that on the shelf for a different project and show us all what your really capable of doing with the 305.

I have a 1991 rs coupe with the same package as what yours has.  I have spent a little money on it $2500.00 to be exact not all on the motor. probably like $1500.00 on the motor.  Just with a mild cam roller rockers you know yada yada.  and i am turning 320 hp. with the stock heads.  when i buy my aluminum fast burn heads later this year i am expecting to be very, very close to 400 hp.  and that will be about $2500.00 into the 305 then i plan to stroke it with an all forged rotating assembly and add turbos and nos.

when i read the intro to this article i really thought you guys were going to do something different but all you are doing is the same old thing.  Building a 350.  by the way how much would that crate motor cost the average Joe who actually has to pay out of pocket?  I would guess that right now i have spent less and have more hp.  i am only guessing but i have seen the 290 hp crate motors and they are all over 2 grand so...  

Blmfighter
Posted: 12/02/08 02:13 PM

Budget build, right!
I know lots of folks that want more power but don't have $2500 to spend on motor or any other parts. Buying a motor is not what I would call a working mans budget build. A working mans budget build would be buying cam, intake, headers, and maybe pistons and new carb. I want to see you guys take a motor and try do get the most you can with a non-roller cam.
Try to spend less then $1000.00 and do it like the guy in the street does!  

chevelle83
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/04/08 05:40 PM

Boy you got that right! I can never aford crate engines of any type. I build, and modify ALL! of my own engines no matter who the mfg was. If I want that particular engine I just use the specs from the build and go one piece at a time. Like the Jonny Cash song.  

Blmfighter
Posted: 12/04/08 05:51 PM

I was reading a article today that was wrote a while ago in a different mag. They wanted to build a big block and a small block to see which one would have more power with a set amount. They said they wanted to budget to by where the guy on the street would be spending. So they picked $6500.00, *** I'm a guy on the street and I'm building my 454 $894 and that includes the money I used to pay for the motor. I have a good job at a insurance company and I can't afford to spend the money they say these guys spend on a budget build. The only way I could spend that much is if I took a few years to buy the parts or did not pay my bills and tell my kids they don't eat this month.

I would like for once for them to do a store on somone like me. I will be running 12s with this motor. Is that super fast? no! But it won't be bad for less then $1000.

Now that is a budget build!  

LLS65BU
Posted: 04/29/09 06:21 AM

How about calling it "BARNEY" as opposed to "Purple Haze"?

JK  

LLS65BU
Posted: 04/29/09 06:42 AM

I agree with the fellas in the last 4 posts.
I have a 350-4 bolt, 010,020 core that I yanked from an old boat I had a while back. All I have with it is the stock crank, rods and .030 over FT pistons. I was thinking about going to the boneyard to get me some Vortec heads to throw on it. I picked up a Vic Jr. off eBay for $75.00, and was thinking of using it with this build. Not too sure of the bumpstick I'll toss in it yet, but that's a chat for another day.
BTW, I was also gonna get me a Rochester from the boneyard too and buy a simple rebuild kit for it and toss it on.

Ah hell...Maybe I'll just go get me a used LQ9 steel short block out of an Escalade, throw in a CUSTOM-GROUND cam, bolt on a set of Tune Time Performance heads and top it off with a stock LS6 intake INSTEAD.

JMO  

sevindeess
Posted: 05/10/09 08:22 AM

This seems to be a huge issue all across the hobby (why won't they won't listen!). Here is what I suggest. I have a a couple good running 350's. Lets come up with a  good low budget price, then pick a reasonable HP to achieve) lets pick an engine and I will build it (within budget) as well as document and post the videos on You Tube AND I will pay for it all. I say 350 HP for $800!? That is a true budget build and a challenge.  

LLS65BU
Posted: 05/12/09 08:02 AM

Is that brake or rwh? I know it can happen with good used parts from ebay, JY, or local swap meets.
Will you also be calculating your labour into that cost budget?  

corcor67
Posted: 07/28/09 06:36 AM

I wish i could call a crate motor part of a budget build,  i agree with the other members,  re-use the 305 or pull a 350 from the scrap yard if you must have the extra 45cid  

Jp Civilian
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/04/09 11:00 AM

Just want to comment a namer, but how about "Velvet Lighting", just rolls off your tongue!  

TruckZoom
Posted: 08/14/17 06:49 PM

How's the build going?  

TO TOP