Item Posts    Sort Order

Any tips on how to start an affordable 91 camaro project?

enjcamaro
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/07/07 09:50 AM

I have a 91 chevy camaro rs that has been in my drive way for 4 years, hasnt been moved since. The reason i stopped driving it was because I lost the chip that was in the key. thats one problem the other is that my friend took the injectors to clean and never seen him since. and since the car hasnt been turned on i dont know what precautions to take. for any tips you can reach me at enjmay06@yahoo.com.  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 06/07/07 11:23 AM

The key chip missing's an easy fix. You'll need to get a new igniion lock/cylinder with a new computer chip key. While this might not be too cheap (shouldn't be too expensive either) it's the most straightforward, and easiest, way to fix this problem.

On your missing injectors, what motor does your '91 have? New injectors aren't expensive, and are readily available at most local parts stores, so you can take care of that easily.

Once it's ready, before you try to start the car again, I'd do an oil change and put 5W30 in for a little while, so on initial start-up the car will build oil pressure quickly. Also, I'd put some fresh gas in the tank along with some fuel additive that'll dissipate any water that might have accumulated in the fuel over the years.  

enjcamaro
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/12/07 12:08 PM

Its a 5.0L 305 V8 TBI. Thanks  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 06/12/07 12:32 PM

Our car has a 305 TBI too. Injectors are easy to come by, you can go to most local parts stores and purchase them. Or, hit the salvage yard and look for a Chevy/GMC truck with a TBI unit and get those injectors.  Chevy trucks 88-95 all had TBI injection.

I'd recommend also squirting a little Marvel Mystery Oil in each of the cylinders to keep from scoring up the cylinder walls on initial start-up.  

TO TOP