Item Posts    Sort Order

70-72 monte carlo convertibles

terry maynard
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/10/06 08:41 AM

I WAS WONDERING IF CHEVY MADE MONTE CARLO CONVERTIBLES ? I SAW ONE WHEN I WAS JUST A KID AND FELL IN LOVE. I AM 36 NOW AND I SAW ONE AT THE SUPER CHEVY SHOW IN NORWALK OHIO SO I WAITED FOR THE OWNER TO RETURN TO HIS CAR AND I ASKED HIM ABOUT IT . HE SAID THAT CHEVY SENT 1200 CARS A YEAR TO A COMPANY IN CALIFORNIA TO MAKE THEM CONVERTIBLE WHEN THEY WERE NEW USING PARTS FROM THE SHELF THAT ARE FROM CHEVELLE. I'D LIKE TO MAKE ONE AND HE TOLD ME THAT IF I COULD GET A DONOR CAR I COULD MAKE ONE PLEASE. LET ME KNOW WHAT I'D HAVE TO GET FROM THE DONOR TO DO IT.IT WOULD BE NICE IF YOU DID A PROJECT IN YOUR MAG.IF YOU CAN'T AT LEASE LET ME KNOW IF WHAT HE SAID WAS TRUE  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 09/19/06 12:37 AM

I know there are some custom Monte Carlos out there that have been converted, but I've never seen anything about GM sending productions out for conversion in the 70s. To my knowledge a first gen Monte Carlo convertible was never offered.  

monte70car
Posted: 10/12/07 04:18 PM

if u r looking for infor on makin a monte carlo conivertibles, u might want to do a sreach on the first generation monte carlo web page.  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 10/14/07 10:31 AM

GM never sent any first gen Monte Carlos out for conversion to convertibles. I'm sure there've been a few companies over the years that have done the conversion using Chevelle parts (both cars are A-bodies), but there's never been any factory involvement.  

D.Gautron
Posted: 02/18/08 01:20 PM

Yes GM did build Monte Carlo covertibles I,ve seen three
and was dealing on one in Texas Feb 1994 issue Hemmings moter News page 1190. I saw a black 70 454 425 hp owned by an engineer at GM styling also I can send picture of Blue 71 and green 71 as well the one in Hemmings stated was one of three that were built by GM styling hope this helps  

D.Gautron
Posted: 02/18/08 01:23 PM

If you give me your email I can send pics  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 02/19/08 02:55 PM

My email's patrick.hill@sourceinterlink.com

Every source I've talked ot said there were no Monte Carlo convertibles built by GM. I've never even heard of test cars being built, but will do more research to be certain.  

thetransportguy
Posted: 05/18/08 12:47 PM

Chevy never built a first gen Monte convertible. I have seen several that have been 'converted'. The best one used a Olds Cutlass convertible as a donor. That car was basically an unlimited budget car and was awesome. It would have passed as a factory production car. The others were a little rough around the edges as a lot of the required parts simply do not exist and have to be 'made'.  Good luck.  

TO TOP