Item Posts    Sort Order

turbo or belt driven blower on a 5.3? opinion and advise please

dirtydave247
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 10/03/13 10:42 PM

im building a 383 to put in my 2001 gmc pickup.it will be daily driven and I want to keep it as reliable as possible while normal driving but want as much power to be there when im ready to haul ass.just wanting input from people who have this similar setup,,,, either a turbo or like a pro charger and how are they working on your setup? im using a 5.3 truck engine that im building.

engine specs

383ci
ls3 heads
comp  10:1  or less
undecided on cam spec because of forced induction choice
forged rotating assy
mast intake and upgraded injectors
mast throttle body  

lvoss1
Posted: 11/28/13 05:18 PM

I am building an LS3 without boost, but am interested in doing a 5.3 next--and this really is the engine for it.  http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/  I don't know if I'm allowed to post links but this article on boosted 5.3 (hot rod sept 2011) is pretty amazing.   I personally prefer the belt driven pro-charger type boost--but the turbo has lots of fans too.  What is amazing in the article is they push a stock bottom end over 26 psi as a test--trying to find the spot where the 5.3 finds too much boost.  They do some pricey top end work--but get well over 1000 hp on the STOCK junk-yard 5.3.  

dond1965
Posted: 12/24/13 07:57 PM

rotrex Grin  

TO TOP