Item Posts    Sort Order

T56 Rebuild question

Kyle Tuhan
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/05/14 11:45 PM

When checking the bearing race seats for wear should the race be able to slide in easily and be able to be rotated once in the front adapter plate seat cheers  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/06/14 03:10 PM

here is a great diagram of a T56...

http://www.manualtransmissionpart.com/mm5/graphics/pdf/t56-2012.pdf

i would think that they should be a snug fit..  they really should not be able to freely rotate ...

i am taking you are talking about the input shaft race #212 in the image..

or are you talking about the counter shaft bearing races #251 and the other end #253

how loose are they??? do you have a dial micrometer you can measure the OD of the race and perhaps a snap gauge to measure the ID of the bore.

were the bearings that came out all torn up??? where they had been rumbling for a while???/

if the case bearing bores are damaged.. it can change the spacing between the shafts and cause gear tooth failure.

if your transmission experienced gear tooth failure..  you will need to do some measuring to see if the case is actually stretched ..

do you have the T56 assembly manual

http://www.thirdshiftstudios.com/T56manual.pdf

it does not show the specs on the race to case fit. but i would imagine that it should be tight..  it also says not to replace them unless they show signs of damage to the surface.. probably to stop from stretching the case bore getting them out and in..  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/06/14 03:57 PM

i talked to a few friends.. if your bearing races are that loose.. you need to replace the the case or end plates where they fit..

probably should have been driven out after the case was heated so it did not damage the bore diameter.  inserted while the case housing was also heated.. but that's my friends idea..  

TO TOP