Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Gas Filler Door

eagle727fl
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/19/13 06:41 AM

I have an engineering and design question.  Why are automotive engineers locating the gas filler door on the passenger side of more and more cars?

It seems to me that for driver convenience and efficiency the filler door would be best located on the driver’s side.  Placement on the driver’s side means less steps and greater safety for the driver.  Additionally, placement on the driver's side allows for the driver to better judge how close they are to the pump.

Whether a car is driven in the blistery winter north or the steamy and rainy south, drivers of any age want to return to the driver’s seat as quickly as they can.  Yes most gas stations have overhead canopies but with the filler door on the driver's side they stand a better chance of not getting wet on inclement days.

I am just curious if there is a solid engineering reason for not placing the gas filler door on the driver's side.  

Bobs427
Posted: 02/20/13 05:41 AM

eagle727fl

What a great question. I am now a senior and I have a gas fill on the driver's side.

My thought on your question is this. Is there really any truth's in the So Called Myth's of Staic electricity that they don't want us to know about. That starts fires and possible explosions.
  I don't know about the cell phone starting a fire. But the staic we carry around, especially in the dry cold of winter. I worked on very high tech electronics equipment. (For that time period) I would get a service call that part of an LED screen went out. Long story short it was always the same person using the equipment when it failed. I did some investigating on my own. He carried a lot of staic electric charge in his body naturally?
  After proving this was not a Myth, I talked to Management about my findings. I suggested that they install a non static floor mat in that whole area. I also suggested they all techs using that equipment wear a wrist band and before they used this equipment they would hook it to the ground strap I designed. Well guess what, all the service calls went away.
  So getting back to your question thats my thoughts on why they are doing this. To really stop any static charge we carry in our bodies. The further we travel to fill the gas tank the less chance of this staic being carried with us. Every time we touch the car from the time we get out of it we are discharging this static. What also adds to this problem are heated leather seats. Just my 2 cents.... Grin  Cool

Bob Aka-pepsi1  

eagle727fl
Posted: 02/20/13 09:02 AM

Bob:

I never thought that static discharge could be a possible reason - but it just may be the reason.

I know that gas pumps have stickers warning customers about the potential of static discharge. I would venture to say that most people are oblivious to the warning or have never taken it seriously since it is common for people to use their cell phones while pumping gas.

Bottom line - - those extra steps may just be for our safety.

Thanks for your response.

Eagle727FL  

Bobs427
Posted: 02/22/13 01:40 AM

Eagle727FL

Your welcome. I've seen the results of static electricity, and thats the only reason that comes to mind.
Have a good one.

Bob Aka-pepsi1  

TO TOP