Item Posts    Sort Order

?

Red2N
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/28/12 12:55 PM

In terms of equipment horsepower rating: If a piece of equipment, in this case a fuel system, is rated up to a certain hp; then does the method that the hp is created matter to the system's hp rating? I mean if a fuel system is rated up to 500hp, does it matter if that is force inducted hp, naturally aspirated hp or does it not matter to the fuel system?  

Scott Parker
Posted: 10/01/12 11:57 AM

With a fuel system it does matter. Typically you'd run a point richer (or sometimes more) for a forced induction setup, thereby increasing the demand for fuel. Plus there are added complications with forced induction that requires having a larger pump. Ideally with boost you'd want something that was boost-referenced, and with nitrous you'd want something that decreases the pressure before going into the solenoid.

This is what it says on Aeromotive's website:

"Two factors effect an electric fuel pump’ rated ability to support flywheel HP, one is the pressure at which the fuel pump is asked to deliver fuel volume and two is the HP consumed by engine accessories ahead of the flywheel. Higher fuel pressures created by “boost reference” fuel systems, common to forced induction EFI engines, load and slow down electric pumps, reducing available fuel pump volume. Forced induction also requires more fuel to support HP developed in the cylinder but lost to the devices used to create the added airflow and make boost. For example, supercharged engines consume HP to drive the compressor via a belt, turbo chargers create “pumping losses” by building exhaust backpressure in the cylinder to drive the compressor. As a result, the electric fuel pump is de-rated for forced induction and is said to support less flywheel HP. Of course, in fact, the pump supports similar developed HP, but due to the nature of a forced induction engine, less of what is developed in the cylinder remains to be measured at the flywheel."

With other parts, say driveline components, for the most part it does not matter how you make the power.  

Red2N
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/03/12 07:25 PM

Thanks Scott, that is really informative and shed light in areas that I haven't considered, cylinder pressure. That answer also let me know that my bottom end won't be under a ton of stress due to my top end, which in currently incapable of doing so. Along with the fact that my fuel system as it currently stands is limited by it's components.

The only upgrades to the fuel system was 30lb injector and a granatelli 255lbh intnk fuel pump and a mild borg Warner fuel pressure regulator. I was contemplating forced induction but running only the boost that my current fuel system would support...but I see now that boost and my current fuel delivery system will do about as much good as tits on a bore hog.  

TO TOP