Item Posts    Sort Order

89 Camaro LB9 5 sp. no mods-power loss

olcars1
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/10/11 01:28 PM

Engine loses power after warm up no codes set no high temp and no knocking.  Power loss so severe that unable to use 3,4 or 5th gear.  Eventual stall and hard restart. only complete cool down restores power.  Any clues?  

TGO_SUX
Posted: 04/12/11 08:21 PM

Would you say the power loss comes once the computer goes into closed loop? If so that is when your O2 comes into play and is adjusting your fuel trim. Maybe try unplugging the O2 and see how it goes. Maybe your cat could be plugged? look at it and see if it looks dark and burned on the engine end of it. Also see if it glows red when the power loss and stall happens.  

olcars1
Posted: 04/16/11 03:57 PM

1st time car was at interstate speeds and running for 45 minutes but was also very heavy rain so the cat issue was not readily visible.  car was towed.  More recent problems have shown up at much shorter time from start-cat is a definite possibility.  Also all plugs are showing signs of oil fouling-could this contribute to a cat problem?  

TGO_SUX
Posted: 04/16/11 06:51 PM

Yes oil fouled plugs could mean the oil is getting into the cat as well as coating the O2. Also oil fouled plugs could be a problem themselves. Valve guide seals may be bad. Worse than the somewhat typical over night seepage.  

PaulHuryk
Posted: 11/05/12 12:45 PM

Check your fuel pump also...  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/07/12 04:19 PM

It could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter. But what is it your having trouble with?

Bob  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/07/12 04:22 PM

The fouled plugs could be the aftermath of the problem. It could be ignition.

Bob  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/07/12 04:47 PM

Just thought of something that is very easy to check. Take the vacuum line off from the Fuel Rail. If there is fuel in it then replace the fuel regulator. If you can start the engine even for a couple minutes remove the vacuum line and the engine idle should change. If it does not change I wouldn't worry too much about it the plugs are gas soaked. You may have to replace them also. If they don't clean up when you get the engine running correcty.
  If thats what it is change you engine oil. The extra fuel that was being dumped by the regulator will go into you oil. You may see it as on overfill on the dip stick, or just smell the oil.

Bob  

TO TOP