Item Posts    Sort Order

Power steering pump on L98 TPI?

fadec
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/12/11 06:23 AM

I am running a 1986 Corvette L98 TPI 383 in my '81 CJ-7 and I need to remove the power steering pump for overhaul. I am having an abnormally hard time removing the pulley to access the mount bolts. Though this might sound dumb, I'm wondering if this pump is using a "left hand thread" since it is a reverse rotation pump? I'm just not sure if the pump for this engine follows that theory. Since I'm not sure, I don't want to pull my butt off and end up doing some damage. The problem can be as simple as I'm trying to turn the center bolt in the wrong direction.

I really do not want to damage this smooth surfaced serpentine pulley, as good ones are very hard to find these days.  

TGO_SUX
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/25/11 08:23 PM

I can't believe with over 200 views that there has not been one answer.

The pully should be pressed on. The threaded hole in the pump shaft is for installation and removal of the pully. You can search online for a power steering pully removal tool. It will hook onto the lip on the pully and press against the shaft to remove the pully. A simple hardened bolt, washer and nut can be used to press the pully back on.  

TO TOP