Item Posts    Sort Order

SPARK ISSUES

troyskibert1
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/24/11 05:01 AM

I just got done installing '87 TPI and can't get it to run... I put in a new harness with all new connectors, relays and fuse block. I bought this on ebay for $290 @ http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TPI-M...item1e617eec2a
great deal!!!!!!!!! I also bought an ecm ...165 from this man in Colorado for $65. After installing this harness I was unable to get spark with engine cranking. I have a remote starter switch so I was using this to check for spark without pulling a plug, but instead using an extra spark plug on one of the plug wires pulled off a plug in the engine. No spark with ignition on and remote starter switch. I tested the distrib. for power and got 12.4 volts with the ignition turned on. I also tested the distrib. power wire with ignition turned off and no voltage... I made sure all other connectors were plugged in and unpluged the tach connector just to make sure this wasn't the problem. STILL NO SPARK!!! I check all the wires I ran for new wiring harness and fuses, all good. Then I decided to test with remote starter switch again hooked up to the battery and S termanal on starter relay. SPARK!!!!! and engine started to run for 1/2 sec then died. Could not get it to start. I went to turn off the ignition inside the truck and holy moly, the key wasn't even in it!!!! So I turned on the key and tried again, NO SPARK!!! WOW, I only get spark when the key is turned off!!!! But the distrib. is getting power with ignition on but nothing when ignition off. What gives? Please help me!!!!!!!  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/24/11 09:42 AM

what kind of truck are you installing it in...

does it have a wire to the positive side of the coil from the R terminal on the starter solenoid???? that would feed the coil when the engine is cranking....

do you get power to the positive side of the coil when you turn the key to the cranking position and the engine is turning???

what did you do about the VATs system..  that would shut it down after half a second...

did you  hook up some kind of check engine light... or an aldl connector so you can scan the computer for codes and live data to make it easy to diagnose..?????

the 87 models use a spark control module..    did your  installation get one installed...  

do you have the proper wiring diagrams... so you know where each wire goes???

do you have fused constant power at computer pins   B1 and C16  an ORANGE wire...

do you have ground at pin D1 , D3,  D10 and A12  these all hook to the engine on the intake ground...

do you have switched power on pin A6   pink and black.. while the key is on and while cranking???/

i know there should be another wire from the crank position of the starter solenoid to the ECM so the ecm gets signal that you are cranking the engine... i don't see what pin thats on listed on the diagram i have in front of me on the computer  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/24/11 10:21 AM

you can.. install a small bulb.. i will have to get you a bulb number   between pin A5 and switched power... to work as a check engine light..

and a switch to ground the white and black wire  on pin A9  to the engine ground ground circuit on D3 with a black and white wire... this will turn on the self diagnostic and make the check engine light flash any codes that are stored...  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/24/11 10:25 AM

follow the white wire from pin B6      that goes to the VATs module...  not directly to the wires from the back of the lock cylinder...  

troyskibert1
Posted: 02/24/11 06:00 PM

IT'S RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!  HERE WAS MY MASTAKE:  When hooking up the new wiring harness from fuel injection connection~ http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TPI-Mass-Air-Flow-MAF-wiring-harness-1227165-ECM-/130484726826?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e617eec2a
I found that the distrib. connector that was on the harness was too small and I needed the larger connector which I had from a salvaged harness.  I had two wires swaped...The New connector had wires that were faded and stained.  The white wire, Spark Timing Output, was stained dirty and I thought it was the tan with black stripe wire, Bypass output, which was old dirty faded and stained.  I have leared that the truck doesnt need the bypass hooked up to run.  That is the wire that must be disconnected to adjust timing... BUT...The Spark Timing Output wire was very important to be in the correct spot!!!  So, I cut, spliced, shrink wrapped, and platic flex line it back up and WAAAALLAAAAAAAAAA she fired up and ran real *** until I adjusted the timing to 8 BTDC and TPS to .54 Volts and she is purring.  Will post pic's and video's to show how this badass engine looks in a 24 yr old 4X4 *** truck.   Laugh  

troyskibert1
Posted: 02/24/11 06:10 PM

correction:  Only the wires on the 4 pin salvaged distrib. connector were faded dirty and stained, not the NEW smaller distrib. connector that came on the new harness, these wires are bright and shinny It just didn't hook up ABCD but instead just following the colors of the wires!!  Thanks for all the ideas and schooling. I will be back!!  

TO TOP