Item Posts    Sort Order

frel injection

dewman48
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/25/11 09:59 AM

i have a 89 vette l98 auto. it would start then shut off like you turned the key off, then start and run great on the second try. i replaced the mat burn out relay and the maf sensor relay and a new maf sensor. now it will start and when shut off it will not restart again untill it sets for several hours. i tried it at 120deg. and 190 deg. i checked the fuel pressure (47#) and the coil , it was receiving 12 volts. all the plugs are firing. if i squirt fuel in the throttlebody it will start until the fuel runs out?  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/25/11 11:23 AM

is the security light flashing on the dash board when it won't run and the key is on..

sounds like the VATS system  is locking you out...

the time out is exactly 4 minutes....    so if the car will start after you turn the key off and take the key out for just more than 4 minutes...  then its the vats system....

i can describe a under 10 buck bypass if you have a radio shack near by?????  and have a digital volt OHM meter...  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/25/11 11:41 AM

first... you might try some WD40 sprayed into the lock... warning it will drip out the bottom of the column.. so put a rag down

see the orange wire coming from the back of the lock.....

Vatslockcylinder

it comes out under the steering column....

ohm your vats ignition key resistor pellet...    write the exact number down...

Vatskeyblanks

unplug the orange harness under the dash.......   stick the ohm meter into the column side of the harness... stick the key in...   do you get the exact same readings as you rotate the key?????   do you get the same OHM reading as the key measured?????

if you have drop outs... it will trigger the vats system......

Prs1c 2160217W345

10K-Ohm 15-Turn Cermet Potentiometer/Trimmer

Model: 271-343  | Catalog #: 271-343   under 4 bucks at every radio shack.. in the parts drawers...

with one of these... and i usually use 2 sections of the smallest european style terminal blocks from the radio shack on the first and second or second and third...    not the first and the third.. it will not work....   set the adjustment so it matches the OHMs reading of the key.. then cut the column side of the harness...  cut and strip it onto the removed section so you can plug it in to the car side of the harness...   this allows you to at a later time replace the lock cylinder with a new one..  and reestablish the on board security system...

some models will not have a white connector... they will have quick connect terminals that are connected into a large turn connector body that is held in with a bolt...    you can still remove this and ohm the orange jacketed wires...

warning... ON AIR BAG EQUIPPED CARS...  DO not probe any YELLOW jacketed wires... thats the air bag system... any voltage or meters hooked to those wires can set them off... read up on it first...  it gets real expensive to replace air bags, windshields and dash boards...  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/25/11 11:46 AM

if you notice.. the new locks DO NOT COME WITH VATS keys...

take your existing vats key with you when you buy a new ignition cylinder...  take the new keys and your existing key to a key cutter or lock shop... have them measure the resistance of your existing key...    they will then select the matching resistance blank..   have them cut the new key pattern onto that blank...

this way when you install it.. you have a key that will start the car on the first try..

be sure to ask what number the key blank is....   1 through 15...  so you can always get copies....  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/25/11 11:49 AM

last thing....    if you want to verify its the vats system.. and you have 2 keys to the ignition.. buy a vats ignition lock cylinder as shown above.. plug it's orange wire into the cars harness under the dash...   stick your second key into the lock.. it does not matter that its not turned...  then your other key into the regular lock and see if the car starts...

post what you find....  

TGO_SUX
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/05/11 12:45 AM

If there is a fault in the VATS then the motor wont crank and there would be no fuel. The PassKey module in the VATS has to read the resitance of the key pelet and send a ground to the starter enable relay and a 5v signal to the ECM. Needless to say but no ground to the relay and no crank at all.
Also installing a resistor in place of the key pelet is NOT a VATS bypass. It only bypasses the weak link in the system. The Pass Key module is still in use after the resitor trick. A true bypass would mean some wiring of the relay and a voltage signal to the ECM. Modules to do this are made. Search places like Summit Racing for them. They are intended for when a motor and ECM swap was done.

Did you check your fuel pressure when the trouble is present? Also consider changing the filter. Maybe the PSI is there but the flow is being limited. Then if you have a noid light or a test light check for injector pulses.
A noid light makes it easy but a test light will do.
Determin which is the hot wire for the injectors. It will be hot with the key on. The injector pulse is the ground signal. Then once you know which wire is which hook your test light to the batter positive and then ONLY TOUCH THE GROUND WIRE of an injector plug and have someone crank the motor. You should see the light pulse. If you have one of those LED test lights that hooks to the battery + and - that is even better.  

TO TOP