Item Posts    Sort Order

86' 350 tpi Distributor in 89' 305 tpi?

Complete_loser
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/22/11 10:32 PM

Im ready to buy my computer and harness. But I just need to clear up a few concerns.
Thanks to waynes help, ive determined the dist I have is an 86'. So that jogs my memory and reminds me it came from an 86' 350 tpi.

I am installing an 89' 305tpi in my jeep. My question, will the 86' dist work with the 89' motor/cam?

Second question. Do I need to buy a specific computer year, (in this case 89'), to match the motor, or will any year MAF computer work?  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/23/11 08:07 PM

the big question...      which harness are you going to use... the 86 harness.. or the 89 harness..

as the connectors are different...

which intake are you going to use...  as there has to be space for the remote coil with the small cap ...

is there any difference in length in the upper plenum... will a big cap hei fit behind it????

like i mentioned.. at the beginning... the small cap HEI .. will allow you more firewall room than the big cap...

do you have the coil bracket for the remote mounted coil...  do you have the additional coil to HEI plugs..  

Complete_loser
Posted: 02/23/11 11:39 PM

I am going to order a stand alone harness. It will be tailored to what parts I decide to use.

Ive posted pics of all my components in this thread. http://forums.gmhightechperformance.com/70/8542925/l98-lb9/305tpi-goin-in-my-jeep-questions/index.html
Along with casting numbers.

There appears to be no fitment issues between all components.
Tpi2

I have no problem buying a small dist if thats what it will take to sync with the 89' engine. My question, will the 86' dist work with the 89' cam? In other words, does the 86' dist have electronic components in it specific only to engine displacement and year, or are those factors strictly computer specific?

If it wont work, or is in question, I will order a small cap. Firewall clearance isnt an issue.  

TGO_SUX
Posted: 03/05/11 12:15 AM

That distributor knows no difference between the 305 and 350. It will go in. Just as mentioned, if you have the 89 harness you're going to need to change some connectors. That large 4 wire seen on the dizzy will need to be changed at the harness as well as the 3 wire that plugs into the cap.  

TO TOP