Item Posts    Sort Order

How to ID LB9 distributor

Complete_loser
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/16/11 10:08 AM

Well, over the years, ive piled alot of engine parts in the back of the shop. Now I want to build my 305tpi. But the dist is piled with many others.
How do I id the correct one?

I did find one that has 2 separate pigtails coming out of it. It is suspect number one, but want to verify.  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/16/11 10:52 AM

7 pin module... ??????? 5 on one end.. 2 on the other...

there are a hand full of them with 2 harnesses with a 5 pin module..... 5 pins means 2 on one end.. 3 on the other.. the 5 pin module HEIs are for a carb engine..

this one is for the corvette...

C4xfirehei

notice the cap has screws to hold the cap down.. not latches...

here is the picture of the large cap version.. without the computer side of the harness...

the capacitor harness is easily available.. under 20 bucks... U518 at AZ or from wells..

U518

be sure to inspect your pick up coil where it connects to the module... for green in the grease.. if so.. replace the pick up coil...  the green in the grease is the copper wire dissolving..

oh... one last thing...  other than the normal last things...

when you put the distributer in...  be sure that you set the first piston to compression stroke... set the damper to what ever the base timing is... 10 BTDC  or 15 BTDC...   line up the tips of the pick up coil with the reluctor...   now you can lock the distributer down..  as if you have done it right..  the timing will be so close.. you may only need to check it.. not adjust it...  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/16/11 11:10 AM

if you need more room at the firewall.... you can pick up a small cap HEI...   a remote mounted coil... and a conversion kit/adaptors to hook to your existing TPI harness to work with the small cap distributer and the large cap harness...  

Complete_loser
Posted: 02/16/11 09:09 PM

Thanks alot. Thats great info. I think I will try to rebuild all the components in it I can.  

Complete_loser
Posted: 02/16/11 10:07 PM

I have searched, but dont find much on a complete TPI distributor rebuild kit.
Anyone got any sources?  

Complete_loser
Posted: 02/17/11 08:37 PM

I looked at my dist. It has 4 pins on one pigtail, and 3 pins on the other. Not 5 and 2. ?

I appreciate the help, but Im also gonna need some more specific info on where to get the individual parts.
Searching these terms "U518 at AZ or from wells..." didnt turn up anything cause I dont know what AZ is and there is about 10 wells electronics companies.

Ok. Did some more surfin. Im assuming AZ is autozone (doh!)
Found this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Capacitor/_/N-9n8k4?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=%09U518&fromString=search&isSearchByPartNumber=true&itemIdentifier=765024_0_0_  

Complete_loser
Posted: 02/17/11 11:48 PM

Heres a pic of my dist and plugs.
http://www.mediafire.com/?4qe4k7fub6weqgf  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/18/11 03:12 PM

thanks for the link....  you HEI looks great....  probably does not need anything....

oh... i won an iphone when i pasted the link to view your photo....  also seemed to have installed a virus...

use photobucket please....  post the 4th link that starts with IMG

parts are not generally sold in kits...  as there are a few variables... its easier to buy them as individual parts....

if you post the part number from the side of the housing...  i will try to find an exact application it came out of if you are not sure..  

Complete_loser
Posted: 02/18/11 08:42 PM

So sorry about that wayne! I have had troubles with photobucket on random forums, I decided to try mediafire. Hope your computer is ok. Ive used it hundreds of times with no problems.
But I run Linux. Wink

I will get you the info buddy. Im also just now cobbling together a tpi setup from the 2 I have layin around. So I will need help figuring out what ECM and harness to order (Map or Maf). But thats a whole nother thread.  

Complete_loser
Posted: 02/19/11 12:23 PM

Heres my numbers that are stamped onto the dist.
1103679    5J?  That ? may be a 4.  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/19/11 02:29 PM

i will look that up...

you might want to OHM and if you know how to do a 5 second  AMP draw test on the individual injectors before going much farther... so you don't end up with a bunch of bad injectors...

there has been a few people recommending the use of BOSCH III injectors from ford applications with an Oring change as they have multiple openings for the fuel and don't have internal winding problems with reduced resistance..   each injector should be 12.7 ohms... to 14 ohms..  when tested..   a lot of people have found them with 6 to 8 ohms...  those are already burned out and will cause you nothing but problems..

the ford injectors have a thinner O ring.. and will leak fuel if used in a GM fuel rail...

when i googled the distributer number...  i came up with this link that might help you...

http://www.jimsperformance.com/portinj.html

snipped from the link above..

Distributors

All 85-86 systems used a GM HEI distributor. The connector for the distributor is keyed differently than previous model years. 87-92Camaro and +Pontiac systems use a small diameter distributor with an external coil. 87-91 Corvette's still use the HEI distributor. Either distributor will work, however the connectors are different.We can furnish adapters to make them interchange. The HEI Distributor for the 85-86 5.0L engine has the number 1103679 stampedin the aluminum casting at the base of the distributor. The 85-91 5.7L HEI unit is stamped 1103680. The smaller diameter (72mm) distributor is stamped 1103479 on the metal plate beneath the distributor. The72mm Distributor was furnished with 5.0L/5.7L engines on the Camaro,and Pontiac engines 87-92.

Complete_loser
Posted: 02/19/11 02:55 PM

Yup. Found that same article. http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/tpifacts
But cant find specific parts to go in the dist very well.

I reckon i can ohm test the injectors, but dont know how to do an amp draw.  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/19/11 04:14 PM

start with this..

http://www.autodiagnosticsandpublishing.com/feature/fuel-injector-testing.htm

i actually got invited to one of their seminars... it was very informative..    i have been working with Stock Gm fuel injection and feedback carbs since the early 80's...  i worked for a goodyear factory store..  they sent me to gm training in burbank.. on the feedback carb systems... i don't recall if it was 2 or 3 days...  this is back in 81...  i then got more about the Throttle body fuel injection a few year later .  but missed out on the TPI class as i could not get away to take it at a later time and another shop..

as for the distributer parts...

what stores do you buy at???   what brands do they have....

oh,,, and a trick...  when you knock the drive gear off.. file the hole in the shaft to remove any burr..   turn the housing bottom end up..  fill the housing with  carb spray or brake cleaner..  then start turning and pulling and pushing the shaft from the housing..    left and right.. out and in..  out and in.. never letting it stick in the out position..  this works the hardened oil and varnish from the shaft so it does not take out the upper bushing... or jam part way in..

some of the ODD parts from acdelco.com

GASKET,DISTR
Part Number:  10108445
Product Notes:
[Distributor Gasket]
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1985-1989

WASHER,DISTR SHF
Part Number:  1965864
Product Notes:
[Distributor Shaft Washer]; Tang under gear
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1986-1989

WASHER,DISTR SHF THR
Part Number:  1977937
Product Notes:
[Distributor Shaft Thrust Washer]
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1986-1989

COIL,DISTR PICK UP
Part Number:  D1943X
Product Notes:
[All Makes-Distributor Pick Up Coil]; 2Dr
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1985-1986

MODULE ASM,DISTR IGN CONT
Part Number:  19179581
Product Notes:
[Electronic Ignition Control Module]
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1985-1986

what i have not found listed is the 4 wire E.S.T. Wiring Harness  for the distributer..

i think you found the capacitor harness above...  as its not on the delco site either..

but just swapping in a new pick up coil and fresh dielectric tune up grease under the module will probably do the job well and make is reliable..

http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

i found a better catalog over at wellsve.com  

DR117 for the proper pick up coil...  its has a green and white wire with  a yellow connector body..  thats a wells and an AZ part number..

DR124 is the proper ignition module...  from wells...

Dr2009 or DR2009G for the better quality version distributer cap and rotor..

Dr300 is the wire retainer..

DR910 is the coil cover.... or dr910b

esc105 is the spark control module for the 305 applications.. there are various versions... with different timing retard curves

the capacitor harness does not show the U518 for this distributer.. so you might want to be careful with yours...  

Complete_loser
Posted: 02/20/11 04:11 PM

Thanks for all that great info!

But im kinda hesitant on ordering anything for the dist yet cause I dont know what brain and harness im gonna order yet. So my question is, what component(s) can I replace in the dist without affecting the spark timing control etc? Im assuming I can replace all those components you listed, except the esc105 for now, until i figure out what computer im gonna run?

The engine suffix code on the 305 is ATA. Looks like 89 Fbody just like I was told. So im assuming I should buy a brain for that. Then buy everything else based off that brain?

Sorry for so many questions. Frown  

TO TOP