Item Posts    Sort Order

No Start After Safe tune!

Daz-E
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/06/11 12:46 PM

I had some one do a safe tune for my dads 90 Vette and now it wont start and stay running. Its has a rebuilt stock bottom with trickflow heads, slp runners, eldebrock manifold, 58mm tb, 36lb, inj, crane cam. It ran before the tune but very, very rich. So I was refered to someone and I gave him all the info about the build in more detail and now it wont start. The car turns over and fires for about 2 seconds and then shuts off. My dad got it too were he could keep it running by feathering the gas pedal but it pops and spits like the timing is off. I don't know. My dad turn down the fuel pressure before the safe tune, it ran and sounded pretty damn mean with a gas smell. he would drive it down the street every so often. So now we need just a little advice. The tuner is a good guy, he not trying to rip us off. I just want to make sure everything on our end is good.  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/06/11 08:11 PM

find an OBD1 scan tool....

a actron CP9110 with a gm cartridge and cable..

a snap on MT 2500 with the proper cartridge and cable..

an OTC monitor 2000, 4000, 4000E, monitor extended.. a genesys..  with the proper cables and cartridge...

an early autoxtray scan tool...

with any of these.. and many are cheep on craigs list.. you can look at live data stream.,..  examine exactly what the sensors are doing...

but first...  i would like you to look at the dash board... is the security light flashing while you are trying to run the engine..  2 seconds and dies is usually the VATs system acting up.... if the vats system is tripped.. it will set a code.. but only for the first 4 minutes.. during the lock out time...

i think i posted on this forum.. a 3 to 6 buck fix to bypass the vats system with a minimum of 3 bucks worth of parts from any radio shack..  6 bucks worth if you don't have a soldering iron....

if you have an OBD1 scan tool that displays live data not just codes...  i have a chart of the normal values you should print to write your values on... to compare to what's normal...

i would also like you  to check the ground wires that are attached from the ECM harness...

if the grounds wires are not tight... or not connected.. the computer is not going to work well...

one last mechanical test to ***    unplug the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator...  have somebody cycle the key on..    it SHOULD NOT SQUIRT GAS from the vacuum hose..

here is the chart... print several copies.. write your sensor values next to the proper line...

do not try to read the entire chart at the same time.. ONE LINE AT A TIME...

Scandata  

TO TOP