Item Posts    Sort Order

02 sensor

dmtulsa
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/07/10 04:30 AM

I'm not sure if I should have started a new thread for this but I did because it is a different issue. BTW the help here is great, I hope to be able to pay back some of the support I've gotten.

Anyway, This is a '90 LB9 transplanted into a 82 truck. When they did the transplant they added long tube headers, no cats and no X-pipe (H-pipe). There is a hypertech prom in the 7730 ECM and I'm assuming they programmed the PROM to stay in open loop but I really don't know. If they didn't then I know I'll need to put in an 02 sensor, if they did then I'm not sure what to do. I'd guess my best bet is to add an 02 sensor then have someone who knows what they are doing re-program the PROM.

If I add an o2 sensor then do I need one for each header? I don't think so but not sure. I think I'll need a heated 02 sensor due to using headers, again not sure. Lastly, do I use a wide band sensor or is that a factor of how the PROM is programmed.

I just don't want the engine to be running very RICH all the time. not only is it a waste of gas but its hard on the engine.

Sorry for all the questions but maybe others have the same issue and the answers will help them also. I'm putting a lot of time and money ( a lot $ for me) in this and I want to make it as correct as I can. In the big picture another $20-80 for a sensor is not too much if I need it. At least I can weld in the bung in the header collector if I add the sensor. One thing I haven't noticed is a wire anyplace for the sensor. No big deal I can run what wires needed.

Oh the joys of a transplant engine when someone else did the transplant. I can say I've learned a lot in the trouble shooting process and thats worth something. Thanks to many here in the forum.

Thank you
Doug  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/07/10 02:40 PM

narrow band is what the system is designed for...

the oxygen sensor circuit is a purple wire... circuit 412   to connector D7

the oxygen sensor ground circuit is a tan wire circuit 413   to connector D6...

almost all muffler shops have oxygen sensor weld in bungs....   please be sure to leave the anti seize that comes on the threads of the sensor... or  use a $1.19 packet of spark plug anti seize...  but using care to only have it on the threads...

Bosch/Oxygen Sensor
Part Number: 11027
Notes: Universal Upstream (before catalytic converter)
Fit: Universal 18MM threads...
Sensor Type: Unheated,  unterminated.. be sure to add a ground connection to the header someplace..

the sensor has to go in close to a vertical position.. if you are going into the collector...  

dmtulsa
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/08/10 06:16 AM

Thank you again great info as always  

dmtulsa
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/10/10 07:14 AM

One more question. Since it has a hypertech prom I'm going to assume they changed the 02 to open loop thus taking out the 02 sensor. I could be giving them more credit than due and they just left out the sensor.

Is there an easy way to tell. If they didn't modify the prom then I should get a code but if they did modify the prom does that keep the ecm from sending a code?

I'm hoping to get the ECM to spit out codes today

Thanks
Doug  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/10/10 01:11 PM

i have not read up on what hypertech does to their proms...  

dmtulsa
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/11/10 03:29 PM

Thank you Wanyne. Since I got the ALDL to work, thanks to you, and I only get a code 12 I assume the 02 sensor has been taken out of the prom. Ed Wright of FastChip is right down the street from me so maybe I'll see if he can do his stuff to the prom and put the 02 back in. I'm sure it would get better mileage among other things.

Thanks  

Complete_loser
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/20/11 11:14 PM

Thank you for this thread. Has possibly solved a very strange problem I have with my 91' Jeep MPI.
Thanks to Wayne as well. Anyone know what his drink of choice is?  

waynep7122
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/21/11 03:37 PM

Dr Pepper..  so i can stay up late every night answering questions... generic DR in 3 liter bottles is Ok also..

i go as far as reporting bad batches....  one time.. i got the same operator..  she said they don't bottle it in my area... another company does...  and they just ignore them... i ask her if dr pepper was a trademarked flavor... licensed product... yes.. i ask her if they bottled the other companies sodas in any of their plants..   yes...    what would happen if you messed up a single batch of their soda..   she said.. they would sue for millions...   i then said.. works both ways...  wow was she a happy camper...

i also mentioned to her that they need to keep an eye on the generic Dr flavors... as if they mess up the flavor.. it can effect DR sales... as people won't like it and won't drink the original either..      Grin  

Complete_loser
Posted: 02/21/11 10:04 PM

LOL!
I drink 'Dr. Thunder' every day at lunch. Smile  

TGO_SUX
Posted: 03/05/11 01:02 AM

A heated O2 would help to go into closed loop sooner since headers usually are a bit cooler. Especialy with the O2 being so far back at the collector on long tubes.
They aslo ground themselves in the exhaust pipe as it is bolted to the motor which is grounded itself Wink
As for being verticle, you look at O2s' in different aplications and they are mounted in any direction that give clearance.

And Dr. Pepper is the best! Water, milke and ice tea are the only other things I drink. And don't get me started on how Dr. Pepper and Mr. Pibb are NOT the same!  

TO TOP