Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Turbo on a 88 2.8l V6????

jdgray
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/27/10 06:24 PM

I am new to the site but not to GM vehicles, I have owned a couple of ss and one very fast GNX and was wondering what are the possibilities of putting a turbo on a 2.8l in a 88 s10.  I have seen this done on 4.3l and the fiero came turbocharged, but i would like to keep the motor that is in the truck for "sentimental" reasons but would LOVE to have it turbo.  Please help thanx a lot.

Joshua Gray
joshdgray@yahoo.com  

country1369
Posted: 01/14/12 01:26 PM

im looking to do the same to my 88 camaro. im searchin for parts right now but alot of companies made a turbocharged 2.8l in the late 80s through the 90s so the possibilities are endless, its just as hard as matching the parts you want. try Saab,VW, even the thunderbird had a 2.8 ltr turboed  

boofer228
Posted: 10/03/12 08:17 AM

If you had a gnx, then you know what needs to be done. Granted the 3.8 is bigger then a 2.8. Most of it comes down to how much boost you want to get. Then, with that figure, start looking for parts because you don't just throw a turbo charger under the hood. Have you considered a supercharger like the GMC cyclone? I had a 98 s10 with the 4.3, threw on the biggest Saxon sc that I could make work at the time. Less heat, easier to do, and instant power when needed and now cheaper then ever before. My grand prix Gtp, supercharged, I could turn it into a gtx, but my god, that's like a 20hr job, even tho they are both forced induction, its not worth the heating issues. Supercharging itwould be better, cheaper and easier. That or get the Cummings turbo diesel and shoehorn it in there, chip it and NO worries lol. I run under 12's in the 1/4, and some of the oilfield workers here in north Dakota have trucks that double my cars weight and blow me off the line!  

boofer228
Posted: 10/03/12 08:19 AM

Get a used motor from a turbocharged fiery gt, take off all the turbo related stuff and then work with what you got, fabrication will be needed, but dang near straight swap.  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/05/12 06:31 PM

jdgray welcome aboard:

If you are looking to do the swap correctly. I would check out this web-site

www.cartech.com  

TO TOP