Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Gen III (5.3) to Gen IV (LY6) with VVT swap

spacediver
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/23/10 06:32 AM

I purchased one of the 6.0 engines (LY6). The question I do have is about the VVT.  I purchased this motor as a drop in replacement for my 2004 Avalanche. I thought I had all my bases covered like the need for the 58x to 24x converter, Knock sensor harness 2 into 1 extender and the fuel injector adaptor harness.  I didn’t however even think about the VVT.  The E-38 ECM is a totally new computer that operates this system and the PCM the 2004 truck is totally different.  My research has l lead me to believe that the only way to make this work is to lose the VVT and swap some stuff around and basically convert to an LS3.  The primary concern is this is my daily driver and I want all my instruments and gauges to function correctly.
Does  anyone have any suggestions?  

h20son
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/08/10 02:39 PM

Icon Quotespacediver:
I purchased one of the 6.0 engines (LY6). The question I do have is about the VVT.  I purchased this motor as a drop in replacement for my 2004 Avalanche. I thought I had all my bases covered like the need for the 58x to 24x converter, Knock sensor harness 2 into 1 extender and the fuel injector adaptor harness.  I didn’t however even think about the VVT.  The E-38 ECM is a totally new computer that operates this system and the PCM the 2004 truck is totally different.  My research has l lead me to believe that the only way to make this work is to lose the VVT and swap some stuff around and basically convert to an LS3.  The primary concern is this is my daily driver and I want all my instruments and gauges to function correctly.
Does  anyone have any suggestions?

you can take the heads off and replace the VVT lifters and cam with non-VVT parts and have the computer tuned to get rid of the programming

if you're serious, check out www.performancetrucks.net  
2003 Chevy Silverado

you have a 4.8/5.3/6.0? you need: cold air intake, exhaust system and a tune, see my posts for more details!

boide101
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/03/11 11:43 AM

I did this swap on a 2003 silverado ss I used the gen III computer's and changed cam to ls7 also in tank fuel pump to returnless. Used ls2 crank sensor sproket and cam gear with ls2 timming chain cover. I was very happy with resuls idles great and makes great power. Ls7 air valve with adapter modual to use 90mm, gen III air valve will work with adapter. Used ly6 injectors just spliced wires.
Tom  

TO TOP