Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

How much power can a stock block handle reliably?

ledopmi
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 10/24/06 04:18 PM

I see the new GMPP LSX iron block can handle 2500 horsepower.

How much power can a stock aluminum LS1/LS2 block handle?

How much can the stock cast iron block handle?

How much power can an L98 and LT1 block handle?

I would think the GM would have a max power rating for these blocks documented somewhere.  

CamaroSS
Posted: 10/27/06 07:44 PM

The LS1 block has been able to handle 1000rwhp and beyond. The real problem is the internals. The stock internals can support 600rwhp and more, but that all relies upon a spot on tune. Unless you desire to go with a longer stroke, the stock crank will hold all the power you can throw at it. The pistons, rods, and rod bolts should all be swapped for someone looking to exceed 700rwhp and do this reliably.  

7camaro7
Posted: 04/22/08 01:14 PM

I was wondering the same thing.  How much rwhp would a stock ls1 with a procharger, p1sc and d1sc, have?  I'm thinking of going with a procharger to get me to the 500rwhp mark and then as cash comes take it back apart and beefing it up so I can turn up the boost.  
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=8666

TTiC5
Posted: 05/14/09 12:10 PM

Here's a stock botom end LS6 all original short block.There are a few guys running 9s with a stock botom end.these guys really know their stuff so don't think it's going to be easy.After 550 HP you're pushing your luck.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-parts-for-sale-wanted/2318750-f-s-record-breaking-long-block.html  

silverz28
Posted: 06/24/09 07:26 PM

I dont expect GM to post max numbers because people will hold them to it.  There are way too many variables that GM cannot predict.  They do post specific numbers for crate engines they sell.  They have no way of knowing what parts you will mix and match once you start building.  Mixing performance parts that are not compatable can cause premature engine failure.  Also, keep in mind that besides the easy bolt on's, most performance parts will need other parts to be changed at the same time.  Example, if you change your cam, you might want to change the lifters and valve springs. If you buy a 90mm throttle body but your intake manifold is 80mm.......  

silverz28
Posted: 06/24/09 07:33 PM

I apologize if you already know this, but before you spend a ton of money on getting past 500hp, you should think about beefing up the rear end.  You could have the rear end shred to bits the first time you punch it with that kind of power.  I am working on my project car and am planning to change out my rear end before the HP gets too high.  I have asked experts at various shops and the safe zone sounds like 400-425 rwhp on the stock parts.  

TO TOP