Item Posts    Sort Order

Squeezing Performance out of the 5.3L

hogwildarkansas
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/12/14 05:48 AM

Homework?  My friend, BMW did make an inline V6.   Maybe you shouldn't be so rude to people.. especially when you have no clue as to what your talking about.  My 1999 BMW M3 Coupe (E36) had the 5-speed manual transmission mated to the factory installed 3.2 INLINE V6.   Please, I owned that car for 6 year man.. I know what the hell engine it had in it and I know what I'm talking about when it comes to BMW.

Next...   Smirk  

hogwildarkansas
Posted: 02/12/14 05:51 AM

Icon QuoteAlmo:
Guess you didn't finish your homework or at least are not very knowledgeable regarding BMW and M-sport engines. BMW never made an "inline v6" like you stated. Also if you truly have an m3 with the original cast iron s52 m-sport motor, you wasted lots of time and money "beefing up" that engine as they can handle "stage2" turbo installations on the track all day long with very little modification, and I will bet that 1 or 2 track days are much more abuse than you giving her "absolute hell" around town. I have only worked on bimmers for 14 years and domestics 25 so am very curious to know what mods you did to that m3 and why would you spend so much money without talking to Jim at metric mechanic?

*yawn..*  my friend, I promise you, my 1999 BMW M3 Coupe (E36) had the factory INSTALLED 3.2 INLINE V6 in it.. mated to the stock and FACTORY installed 5-speed manual transmission.  

Maybe you shouldn't be so cocky and rude.. especially on your first reply/post to what someone says.  Especially, ESPECIALLY.. when your the one that apparently has no clue to what they're talking about.

Thanks and have a great day.

Next..  

tuffnuff
Posted: 02/12/14 09:26 AM

OK guys, I'm a bit confused about the 3.2 INLINE V6.,. are all 6 cylinders inline or are there 3 cylinders on each bank, in a V configuration  Confused
Please clarify.,. since it has to be one or the other, but it can't be both.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

Clayton Langhoff
Posted: 02/24/14 10:34 PM

I drive a 5.3 Chevy 1500 Classic Z71. considering an air intake and performance programmer.. looking for reasonable pricing to make the truck quicker but not really kill the MPG. any ideas? what works for y'all?  
2007 5.3 Chevy Classic Z71
looking for tips and advice

johnsebolt
Posted: 03/05/14 01:08 PM

I AGREE 100%. Bolting on a supercharger or turbocharger requires alot more than just installing these things. Stock pistons will not handle the pressure created by these devises. The connecting rods down to the crankshaft more than likely need to be changed too. I have read where some guys have bolted on a super or turbocharger to their engines but have read no feedback on how the engines survived after the mods took place.  Stock engines that are built by the factory to be naturally aspirated are NOT designed to be boosted by super/turbochargers. These stock engines will not last very long especially if they are run hard.  Building a stock naturally aspirated engine is not near as critical as building a boosted engine, in my humble opinion.  I have read many good suggestions on this forum on how to get more power out of your 5.3 engine. One way I believe to allow more power to be "freed up" is to remove the engine driven cooling fan and install dual electric cooling fans. These can be expensive though. Flexlite dual cooling fans are selling for near $600 bucks. Dont really know why Flexlite is so proud of these fans while putting that high of price on them but, these electric fans dont steal power away from the engine like the engine driven fans do.You also need to see how many amps the motors draw as not to overload your alternator. I think they say you can expect up to around 25 more HP with these fans.  I also notice that many guys claim they are gaining "X" amount of horsepower after doing their mods, but are these gains proven by hooking up the engine to a dyno, or are they just estimating these gains?  On my 2002 4x4 5.3 silverado I have installed a CAI, a spacer, which I believe is a total WASTE of money, fabricated a ram air scoop below the air filter that peeks out below of the right lower side of the front bumper(and works very well), disconnected the cooling lines to the throttle body ( have NO issues with icing in winter), wrapped the 4'' aluminum cold air intake pipe with fiberglass insulation to keep engine bay heat from warming up the "cold" intake air, I use a Hypertech programmer, but not sure just how effective it really is, I add Lucas upper cylinder lubricant on every fuel fill up,which I believe does help lower friction caused by the rings and also helps the rings and cylinders last longer, I use Amsoil Signature Series engine oil, Amsoil synthetic trans fluid, Amsoil synthetic power steering fluid and their synthetic gear lube in the front and rear diffs. I have never hooked my engine (or truck) to a dyno so cannot say how much any of these changes have helped free up HP, but I honestly say the engine does seem to have more power. The fuel milage has not changed much however. This engine gets between 13 and 16 mpg (city and highway combined).  I am convinced that this engine will NEVER get any better milage than that. I even run my tire pressures about 3-5 psi higher than what is recommended to help lower rolling resistance. If anyone can help me figure out how to get better gas mileage, Im all ears!  

Shaun Mccleese
Posted: 03/25/14 09:51 PM

if you want a full hp gain through a new camshaft you have to do full exhaustand not shorty headers you have to go longtube  

TO TOP