Squeezing Performance out of the 5.3L

aldoty440
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/25/12 12:52 AM

add a supercharger.  

aldoty440
Posted: 09/25/12 01:00 AM

port the heads  ( or get aftermarket heads)and manifold, add long tube headers and cat back exhaust,fresh air intake systemfrom k&n or air aid. larger throttle body,  

TeeWhy
Posted: 09/25/12 03:46 PM

hi, new member here. I have a 08 5.3 and jus ordered a stage 3 turbo set up and am wondering how much power jus the stock engine will handle. any input would be great. thanks  

hogwildmike
Posted: 10/06/12 07:40 AM

your going to have issues my friend..  just thought I would give you an advance warning.

who's bright idea was it to order or even think, for that matter, to even think of installing a STAGE 3 (let alone a stage 1) turbo kit on an internally stock 5.3 Vortec engine??   Shocked   Confused

Not trying to be mean here.. but I mean, I'm not sure you understand how much pressure that a stage #3 turbo kit will put on your stock engine.. let alone your transmission and rear-end (meaning your axles, drive-shaft and ring & pinion gears)

You shouldn't be installing a stage 3 turbo kit on a stock engine, period. Not in my opinion anyhow.

I own a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado LS 4-door (crew cab; 2-wheel drive) and the only things I've done to her is added a K&N air filter; custom fabricated 'TUBI' exhaust (commonly found on Ferrari's and Lambo's) and thats all I've done.  She's currently got 113k on her and she's still running good. She needs a transmission service, but other than that she runs fine.

However, my TOY.. is a 1999 BMW M3 (E36) with the 3.2 inline V6 engine. She on the other hand, is not stock. Not even close to stock.  I installed a stage #2 turbo kit on her. However, BEFORE I even attempted/thought about this.. I did my homework and checked with the BMW dealership and some other online BMW forums, as WELL as calling/checking with some local import shops in my city to see what all was involved in it.

I spent the money and had the engine/transmission upgraded with heavy-duty racing internal parts.  The 3.2 inline V6 (which is the stock engine)was taken out and taken apart and rebuilt to the specs needed to withstand the extra pressure/power output that it would spitting out because of the extra load from the stage #2 turbo kit.  Also, the transmission was torn apart/gutted and all the internals were replaced with heavy-duty racing parts, including a stage #2 G-Force clutch system.

If I wouldn't have taken the time to do my homework and spend the money that is necessary to prep the engine/transmission for the extra power output that the stage #2 turbo would be producing... the stock engine/tranny would have been absolutely destroyed within the first week to month of driving it.

However, since I did my homework and spent the extra money on beefing up the stock engine/transmission, I've had the turbo on this car now, going on 3 years this coming November 2012.. and haven't had one single issue from the engine/transmission.  And believe me, at times, I give this baby absolute HELL! but again, its because I took the time and did things the correct way.

My point here is.. is I would definitely check around before installing that stage #3 turbo on a stock engine/transmission/rear-end.  

I mean, I know how tough the Chevy 5.3 engine and transmission is because I own one as I mentioned earlier. But again, when your thinking of adding a stage #3 turbo kit to that stock engine without having the engine/transmission and rear-end beefed up to handle all that extra power output.. your going to destroy that stock drivetrain, period.

But, good luck buddy.. your gonna need it.  Smirk  

Almo
Posted: 12/24/12 04:56 PM

Guess you didn't finish your homework or at least are not very knowledgeable regarding BMW and M-sport engines. BMW never made an "inline v6" like you stated. Also if you truly have an m3 with the original cast iron s52 m-sport motor, you wasted lots of time and money "beefing up" that engine as they can handle "stage2" turbo installations on the track all day long with very little modification, and I will bet that 1 or 2 track days are much more abuse than you giving her "absolute hell" around town. I have only worked on bimmers for 14 years and domestics 25 so am very curious to know what mods you did to that m3 and why would you spend so much money without talking to Jim at metric mechanic?  

blown806sierra
Posted: 12/24/12 11:27 PM

Hey guys i have a 2005 GMC Sierra w/ a vortech v2-sc supercharger. I am currently rebuilding my tranny w/ a monster trans rebuild kit. My tuner guy has told me, in order to get it over the 450 rwhp mark i need headers and a cam. I currently only have the SC kit and upgraded plugs and wires,along with cat deletes and flow through flowmaster. Do you think he is right or am i missing something else. and can i get specifics on cam specs and headers.
Thanx  

the-mad-hatter
Posted: 01/12/13 01:48 AM

long tube headers will give you more bottom end power and should improve mpg  

the-mad-hatter
Posted: 01/12/13 02:04 AM

@teewhy your stage 3 kit should be fine for that motor. dont listen to these idiots. if you keep it below  12 psi you wont have a problem. i personally keep mine around 8 psi for daily driving and bump it up to 12 for the track  

booneepperson
Posted: 03/13/13 07:17 AM

where can i find interal performance parts for a 5.3 looking to put a bigger cam and intake manifold i just have no idea where to find any of this please help!  

84shortbedchevy2
Posted: 03/15/13 07:19 PM

We're do I get 383 stroker kit for a 5.3  

WildcardCustoms
Posted: 04/05/13 08:20 PM

New member...and i'm going to get the idiocy out of the way. Since i can't find another 5.3 liter thread, here we go. I have an LS4 5.3 liter monte carlo ss that i'm trying to pump up. Since i don't know much about the ls4 (having worked with the lt and other ls v8s), i'm wondering if i can utilize parts from another ls or regular 5.3 motors. The only thing i know for sure is that the ls4 is about an inch shorter and fwd. As i'm very busy with several projects, any help is appreciated  

hogwildmike
Posted: 07/22/13 04:55 AM

Throw some L92 heads on that baby.  That'll wake her up.. BIG TIME.  

carters841
Posted: 09/05/13 07:43 PM

Another new guy here. I have 03 silverado swb reg. Cab with the 5.3 4l60e setup with 3.73 gears and a locker in the rear. I bought this truck not knowin the guy b4 me Had programed it with a little motor work an had nitrous and im guessin a beefer trans. An played with the shiftpoints. bought it for a STEAL about 2u years ago and didnt know wat i had. A year an 4 months ago i destroyed the trans. Set it offf to get rebuit cuz i didnt have the time to do it myself. The shop cleared the custom tune. 5 trannys a tranny mount 2 selinoids. atorqconverter and a apump later an im stuck ccreepin in first gear around town n it is suckin down gas. Iwould like to rebuid it my self this time an go back to with the monster in a box kit but the funds for it are u a little scarce but i hhave a th350 thats been sitting in my shop im just wonderin would it be worth the trouble to ease around with it till I can rebuild the 4l60e wat would i need to do it. Or any other ideas  

dhughes4
Posted: 09/11/13 05:23 PM

whats up guys new guy here an I have a 01 z71 with the 5.3. im having knock sensor problems an don't kno what to do. iv replaced both sensors an the pig tail harness an still not fixed. its beyond weak an im just stumped. any suggestions?  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/24/13 11:29 PM

Who dug up a seven year old post?  

TO TOP