Item Posts    Sort Order

LT1 Project Car

Scott Parker
Posted: 05/26/09 07:31 AM

epp.john: I think we could have squeezed more power out of it by hand-porting (or at least port-matching) the heads and cutting them to bring compression up to 11:1, but for now we'll have to settle for 459hp. The motor is in and partially tuned, we had some driveline issues that are currently being sorted out. The initial idea was to run 11s in daily driver style, 3.42s/reasonable sized cam, etc and on a reasonable budget. So far it looks like that should be no problem. After that, we'll see.

hflores3: I had originally planned to pass NJ emissions, but had a change of heart once I moved to Florida. I doubt the custom cam would pass, but something comparable to the Edelbrock cam we tested might.

95ramairTA: I would love to do turbos, and I have a buddy that is just crazy enough to help. But after many automotive-related headaches, I've found the K.I.S.S. method works best for me.

JAKEJR2661320: My personal opinion is that the idle is fine, that's actually why we stuck with the 113LSA (and not a 111). Only complaint is that I may have some vacuum loss (with the brakes), but its too early to tell as we are still working the bugs out. The following issues have the full series of dyno tests: Nov '08, Jan '09, Feb, and March.  

hflores3
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 11/01/09 05:35 PM

Hey Scott, just wanted you to know that I purchased the exact same cam from Comp Cams (through Racekrafters) for my 355 ci 1995 Impala SS!   I already had a nice set of ported iron LT1 heads that flowed 255 cfm @ .500 lift so it was comparable to the Darts (all the other lift points were similar as well).

(comparison: 355, 52mm tb, ported intake by Racekrafters, tri-y headers, forged rods/pistons, cold air intake, MSD 6, Jacobs Coil, Borla full exhaust)

I just got it back and I absolutely love the slight lope in the idle!    I'm now breaking her in for 500 miles then back on the dyno for additional tuning.  

I'm leaving some hp on the table as I'm runninga a 52mm tb instead of the 58 you tested.  

Thanks for the article and data!!!!!  

ScreaminRedZ
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/03/10 10:59 AM

I'm definitely looking forward to more updates on the project formula and would love to see it hit 11.9 with the current setup.

Are there any more horsepower tweaks planned?  The numbers seemed a bit low as cam only setups with a hotcam seem to be capable of 320 rwhp through an auto.  With the heads and the bigger cam, I would have thought that 350+ would have been cake.  Do you think the heads are holding the power back?  The cam doesn't appear to be a baby cam by any means.  I don't think I've seen any of the fast LT1 guys using the Edelbrock heads.  

10secondcamaro
Posted: 04/18/10 10:49 AM

Hi Scott first off have been reading GMHTP mag for years and love the LT1 articles. Everyone acts like the LS motors are all thats out there I have a stroker LT4 with every mod known to man that ran a 10.75 on 150 shot. Very driveable with big stereo, air and cruise! I was trying to find out where you tapped the programer on this car for the rpm signal. I want to install a NX window switch and can't seem to get a good answer. Tunetime told me to email you. Bonus is now I found this site.

Thanks  

Scott Parker
Posted: 04/26/10 06:41 AM

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. I've definitely been happy with the cam and the rest of the setup. It did dyno a bit low, but I found the 12.17 it ran at the track right off the trailer was on par with typical heads/cam LT1s (generally high 11s to low 12s). With a few more runs, it may have cracked into the 11s. Unfortunately we had a setback when we put the juice to it, check out the July issue for more info. I will an answer shortly on the wiring, but I believe it was near where the LTCC box tapped into the factory harness.  

ScreaminRedZ
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/28/10 05:31 PM

I wasn't aware that it had gone that fast (November 2009 issue said it was whittled down to 12.48 from high 12's).  Congrats on the new best!  Looks like you're well on your way to cracking that 11 second pass.

I also have to edit my previous post where I referenced the Edelbrock heads, as I had forgotten that you had swapped them for the Dart heads.

I saw that there was some kind of problem in the May 2010 issue.  Hopefully the bottom end didn't let go, that was a newly refreshened short block, wasn't it?  

Good luck getting it straightened out and keep the great articles coming!  

TurboBob
Posted: 05/07/10 04:32 PM

If you need some help on the LTCC harness or hardware,  drop me a line.

You mentioned in the article,  disappointment with the OBD-1 controls.  However,  I have had great luck with the OBD-1 PCM.  I ran a stock engined Impala SS, turbocharged at 10 psi, on pump gas for 6+ years with no troubles at all.

Keep up the great work,

Bob Bailey  

ScreaminRedZ
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 05/11/10 06:10 AM

Just checked out the new article and it sucks that the motor let go.  I've been holding off from spraying my LS1 due to the air fuel ratio being lean on the nitrous.  I think it's a voltage problem with the fuel pump so I'm going to install the Racetronix hot wire kit (the car already has a Racetronix pump).

Very happy to see that you're stepping up to the 383.  Should be interesting to see how the power improves and the curve changes since you're going with the same heads and cam setup.

Keep up the good work, this tech series just keeps getting better!  

ronbunch1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/16/10 10:00 PM

Icon QuoteScottGMHTP:
Hi, my name is Scott Parker and I am Technical Editor of GMHTP. In the upcoming issue I will be introducing my LT1 Formula Project Car. I plan to go a different route than some of our previous LT1 Project cars such as Thunderchicken and The Grape of Wrath. In an effort to provide new and exciting tech, I would love to hear any suggestions you may have on creating a reliable 11-second street car. Please let me know if there are any product tests or setups you would like to see in the magazine.

cant go wrong with a 355 with an advanced induction heads&cam combo with an rpm LT4 intake..ya dont pick up ram air gains on the dyno but its good for 2 tenths at the track!!  

YumaFarrell
Posted: 08/19/10 07:05 PM

Excellent, I just bought a 1997 Camaro SS 6 spd, long tubes, MSD & drag radials in Yuma. This is my retirement toy, its already fast, no clue whats been done. I'm planing on installing a 396 stroker with factory LT1 intake, long tubes, (same as now)... I dont care for Nitrous on the street, juz real horsepower, no blower, or turbo, cant afford it anyway... I love to hear that baby whine like it does. It may be a 383, cause it RPMs very fast and doesnt stop pulling past 6000. I had to put on drag radials cause of wheel spin. Anything LT1 would be perfect..... Mags seem to have forgotten us. I loved the LT1 head comparison. 4:11's are planned next b4 the 396 stroker. SLP open hood scoop brings in the fresh air to the intake.  

Scott Parker
Posted: 08/20/10 10:46 AM

Wait until you guys see the January issue...forged 383 + nitrous = lots of torque  

Scott Parker
Posted: 08/20/10 10:46 AM

Wait until you guys see the January issue...forged 383 + nitrous = lots of torque  

Scott Parker
Posted: 08/20/10 10:47 AM

ScreaminRedZ
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/07/10 06:45 PM

Just got my January 2011 issue and read the "Heart Attack, Part 3" article.  It says to check on here for track results.  Have you guys been able to run it down the 1/4 mile yet?

Also, are you going to look into the very rich air/fuel on the spray?  Looks like you're giving up quite a bit of power there?

Thanks, and keep up the good work!  

ScreaminRedZ
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/06/10 07:59 AM

Just read the update, congrats on the new best, that car is cranking!  I'm guessing the lazy feeling up top is due to the really rich air/fuel on the spray.  

I'm fighting the same problem with my LS1, as I have to run it real rich up top to make sure it's not too lean down low.  Hope to have it figured out over the winter.  

TO TOP