123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

LT1 Project Car

ScottGMHTP
Posted: 07/25/06 07:29 AM

Hi, my name is Scott Parker and I am Technical Editor of GMHTP. In the upcoming issue I will be introducing my LT1 Formula Project Car. I plan to go a different route than some of our previous LT1 Project cars such as Thunderchicken and The Grape of Wrath. In an effort to provide new and exciting tech, I would love to hear any suggestions you may have on creating a reliable 11-second street car. Please let me know if there are any product tests or setups you would like to see in the magazine.  

Chopstix
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/10/06 11:35 AM

You mention that you want to go a different path.

Thunderchicken was a stroker, and The Grape of Wrath was a bolt-on car.  An 11 sec LT1 is not that difficult to build, I would really like to see you start w/a  stock car and build a 10 sec street car.  I currently drive a 94 Formula that is gunning for 9's but is still capable of driving in rush hour traffic.  

11's reliably is nothing more than a H/C/nitrous AUTOMATIC away.  

Another interesting twist would be to have 2 teams build a car with a preset budget and each issue give updates and at the end of the build have the 2 cars face off head to head, winner take all.  

Chopstix
Posted: 08/11/06 01:27 PM

I just read the article on the new LT1 project.  I have a couple question,  The first is what is the budget, and define your limits of streetable.

I have always liked nitrous for street cars that must pass emissions.  A mild motor built to handle alot(i.e. 250+hp) of nitrous would be civil to drive but run with the race cars at the track.

My car went 11.6's NA and a traction limited 10.9 on a 150shot.  This was a car built to be a daily driver.  

95355lt1
Posted: 08/12/06 08:38 PM

Why not start with a lt1 car that has perhaps a blown engine then try to build a shoe string budget 11 sec LT1 car utilizing the best deals you can find to acomplish this while spending minimum cash. You could do everythinig you can your self including engine asymbly, head work, tuning...etc, so that others can folllow and do there own garage lt1 11sec projects.  

_max_
Posted: 08/13/06 12:11 PM

I agree with 95355lt1,just got my 95_TA up and running after 2 years.Raising a family aint cheap,long time coming!!!  

StealthLT1Z28
Posted: 08/14/06 09:15 AM

First off I just wanna' say hi to everyone on the new forums Wink I think it would be really cool to see a budget 355 turbo that could be daily driven...I'd personally like to see it be an aggressive street setup biased towards roadcourse and auto-x...In other words something that made nice power but that would be reliable and usable for more than just runs down the 1/4.  

Unforgiven
Posted: 08/14/06 04:24 PM

Hello Scott! I was happy to see that you guys are taking on another LT1 project car. I am undertaking a similar project since I just bought a 95 Z28 in Quasar Blue. Purchased on Ebay, it was supposed to be a runner but when I got to Houston via Greyhound it had engine noise. After some investigation and negotiation I trailered it home for 1500.00. Luckily, I had good 97 motor lying around and had it back in the fight rather quickly. Suggestions on building an 11 second car? A lot of guys around here (Kansas City) are hooked on Lloyd Elliot Portworks heads and cams. He seems to do good work and there are several 11 second cars with his LE2 package, long tube headers, 2400 or better stall and 3.73 gears. They always seem pretty reliable but some suffer from questionable assembly practices and a couple have stripped interiors, removed bumper supports etc. I also question whether it wouldn't be a better idea to spend a little more and get a set of AFR heads. Their heavier casting has to be more durable over time. I look forward to future installments and good luck!  

saxmo
Posted: 09/19/06 09:00 AM

Seems like an STS turboed car might fit the bill.  

jonathaf
Posted: 10/08/06 10:11 PM

I own a 1994 z28 and have been waiting for someone to do a budget build up of the lt1.  the mods I have are what you've already done, and I plan on following you through the build-up.  I hope that my budget can follow into the 11's if that's what you are shooting for.  about time someone noticed the potential these cars have.  thanks a million.  

BLACK KNIGHT
Posted: 10/19/06 07:21 PM

Hello, my name is Mike and last summer I just picked up my first F-body, a '95 Trans Am Convertible.  I was REALLY excited to see this project as I'd love to get my car in the 11s.  So far, I have almost the same mods as you've done...so I'm really looking forward as to what to do next.  I just hope my budget can afford it!!  

ledopmi
Posted: 10/23/06 07:29 PM

I like the idea of two teams building two different cars.  Instead of two LT1 cars, why not build one LT1 and one LS1 with the same budget.  The LS1 has a head start but could it maintain the lead when there is a money limit?  

bens96z28
Posted: 10/24/06 07:57 PM

Hello all, the ideas posted here to date have all been very good. I've been following all the LT1 project cars for quite some time. Project Thunderchicken was an inspiration for me. I'm in the middle of a 383 upgrade for my 96Z i have about 6k tied up so far and still not even close to completion. I just put on the BMR fabrication K-Member and upper and lower A-arms, adjustable panhard rod, lower control for the rear and the relocation brackets. and i have several parts still to install that have already been purchased; Front and rear ls1 brake kits stainless steel braided brake lines, self bleeders,sub-frame connectors and the list goes on i haven't the motor yet that will be later. short block is asssembled. And an LT4 intake and heads to go on this thing. I'll be glad to be finished myself. Ooo  

ScottGMHTP
Posted: 11/14/06 08:08 AM

All very good suggestions and contributions. The three biggest challenges with this car will be a) trying to stay NJ emmissions legal, b) to be not only DOT legal but to see how far we can get with drag radials and a 7.625-inch 10-bolt, and c) to not take anything away from its drivability. Keep in mind this car is a true daily driver–rain, sleet or snow. And it sees plenty of highway time. A car with enough power to go 9s or 10s would have a hard time surviving the above criteria, or at the very least might earn me a grave along side the NJ Turnpike during one of the winter months. As the result, it looks like forced induction is the only way to go. And who knows? Maybe after the 'Bird has hit the 11s we may crank things up a bit. There are a lot of fast Mustangs to keep up with.  

dr97z
Posted: 11/14/06 10:35 AM

With all the above in mind, I would say continue your bolt on quest, and then go for some spray.  Emmissions friendly, keep your drivability.  The only thing that might suffer is the 10 bolt, but what 11 sec. fbody doesn't destroy one of those over time.  

Chopstix
Posted: 11/29/06 11:56 AM

Big power and emmission legal has nitrous written all over it....it doesn't affect emmissions at all.
I understand what you are saying about having to survive the winter weather.

Good heads, mild cam and nitrous can still see deep 11's w/the supporting suspension.  

123 Last
TO TOP