Item Posts    Sort Order

super secret opening routine for top on 87 vert ?

littlewhitec4
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/10/14 05:19 PM

Hello fellow C4ers, Just took possession of 1987 convertible. 100k miles. looks to be pretty stock, right down to paint. I'm struggling with the convertible top. It has worked fine a couple of times but, seems to cause me trouble a lot. Here's what I'm doing in order, 1st- unlatch roof from windshield 2nd- unlatch rear window/roof from body (latch under back hatch) 3rd- fold window section forward 4th- click open back hatch (button in console) here's where I'm having problems the hatch doesn't seem to unlatch when I click the button, it makes a clatching noise but, won't lift up. It works like a charm sometimes. My question is am I doing this right ? Is there a super secret latch/process that I'm missing ? Is there a safety catch ? It appears that a wire on each side attached to the roof frame runs down towards the latch mechanism. I know it doesn't work with the key/ignition on. Any help anyone can give would be appriciated. Thanks, Chuck  

wayne712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 06/10/14 10:52 PM

just personally i have not played with the convertible tops..  as i work under the car and under the hood..

do you still have a the owners manual that came with the car.. ???

sometimes they are available online..

i will dig around tomorrow evening see what i can find..

perhaps some other convertible owners will chip in..  

littlewhitec4
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/19/14 04:17 PM

Update on convertible top, I searched around and found out that when they get hung up usually passenger side, press down on the deck lid while pushing the release button...it works !! Also there is a manual release located on the passenger side actuator release. it's a little loop of cable hidden under the carpeting. Hard to find unless your looking for it. Newest development is that the lap belt is locked in the closed position on both drivers and passenger sides, any suggestions. I tried resetting the electronics by disconnecting the battery (in case it was electical) that didn't work. The shoulder belts work fine just the lap belts locked closed.  Thanks, Chuck  

TO TOP