Item Posts    Sort Order

Sickly sound when starting my C5

mark3012
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/12/13 02:47 PM

I have a 2000 Vette that recently started making a sickly raddling/sweeking sound when I first start it.  It usually lasts a few minutes at idle until I hit the gas pedal a few times on it and it idles normally. Its not really a low pitched sweek like a bad or loose belt, but a louder more noticable sound.  Does that sound like maybe a bad idler pulley or tensioner?

*UPDATE* The noise has been intermittent and I was having trouble getting it to do it for about a week.  I heard about trying to spray the belt with water to see if the noise stopped for a second and also to try moving the tensioner pulley while it was making the noise to see if that stopped it, but it did'nt.  Then something strange happened...normally I would let it idle, hitting the gas occasionally until the noise stopped, but this time I just shut off the car and the noise persisted with the car off....any ideas?  Solenoid or starter maybe??  

waynep712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 09/12/13 06:49 PM

got a video camera in your cell phone..or a stand alone digital video camera????

record it with audio...

upload it to youtube...

paste the link here..

that way we can watch and hear the sounds..  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/14/13 09:05 PM

Mark
Does it make this sound when the engine is at operating temperature? If it does it should be easy to find. If it's intermittent now you have a problem.
 If your going to do this yourself buy a cheap mechanics stethoscope and when that sound happens your pick it up. Just be careful around the accessory belts and pulleys. If its the original starter its done its job....
 See a repair shop that has a drive on lift. Have someone in the car so he can operate the starter., and hopefully you will hear it.
  If you think it's an accessory i.e. A/C, power steering or alternator, you can remove the belts and start the engine and see if the sickly sound goes away. If it does now you can find out if its an accessory or as you said a tensioner.
  You may have a starter solenoid sticking. Then you hit the gas your overriding the
the speed the of the solenoid, and it makes the stuck solenoid unload or frees it up.. The only way you can really check for a sticking started solenoid is to bench test it.
  Then without the load of the trying to start it
may not do it. The other thing you can do is a visual check of the starter.  

mark3012
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/29/13 04:48 PM

*UPDATE* The noise has been intermittent and I was having trouble getting it to do it for about a week.  I heard about trying to spray the belt with water to see if the noise stopped for a second and also to try moving the tensioner pulley while it was making the noise to see if that stopped it, but it did'nt.  Then something strange happened...normally I would let it idle, hitting the gas occasionally until the noise stopped, but this time I just shut off the car and the noise persisted with the car off....any ideas?  Solenoid or starter maybe??  

Read more: http://forums.corvettefever.com/70/9562797/c5-corvettes/sickly-sound-when-starting-my-c5/#ixzz2gKRPDzAr  

waynep712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 09/29/13 06:55 PM

pick up an automotive stethoscope...

4 bucks to 10 bucks harbor freight stores or most autoparts stores...

Image 22652

sounds are hard to locate... touch the end of the probe to the NON MOVING areas near rotating parts and you can actually listen to the bearings and individual parts..

take a video..

post it to you tube.  

TO TOP