Item Posts    Sort Order

Ruff idol, won't run past idol without the engine dying. 90 Corvette

JW72
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/03/14 12:00 PM

Wayne,

I have decided to repair several items that maybe wrong with my 90 Corvette.  

Acquire an OBD 1 unit.
Rebuild the distributor, to include replacing the Distributor Ignition Pickup.
Install 24 lb injectors
Install new valve oil seals.
Check fuel pump.
Check wiring, especially around the ECM.
Have one under hood light that doesn't work.
The horn doesn't work and I think this due to the alarm system being disconnected.
Radio antenna works when it wants to, mainly up.

The above, to me, is a very ambitious plan.  I have ordered, I hope, all of the parts that I will need.  Just waiting for them to be delivered.  First thing first, is the OBD 1 unit, before I do anything.

Taking off tomorrow to go to Sears Point Raceway, for the weekend.

JW  
Retired, raced Corvettes in SCCA for 20 years. Own a 1990 Corvette and a 1979 Corvette.

wayne712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 04/03/14 01:29 PM

if you are going to do the injectors..

please pick up a fuel injector rail seal set.. and or

GP Sorensen/Fuel Injector O-Ring
Part Number: 800-9214

Part Number: 800-9215

these are the Large and small sizes for the Oring fuel hose connections.. also for the fuel rails..

they are dirt cheep for the packs of 10 at AZ.. buck and a half for one.. and a buck for other.. ask for them by number.   these don't fit the injectors.. just everything but the cold start valve but i don't that yours is equipped ..

you will want this set also..

1990 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7L FI 8cyl
Part Number: 800-9211  

JW72
Posted: 04/07/14 07:15 PM

Wayne,

I am looking into information about TPI, fuel rails, EGR valves, fuel regulator valve, EGR temp switch, fuel pump relay, EGR solenoid, EGR valve, fuel pressure regulator, idle control valve, throttle position sensor and anything else than may give my Corvette the problems that I am having.  

I am assembling a OBD 1 diagnostic system, using a computer software program, cable for the OBD 1 connector located in the Corvette and my laptop.  Then I will be able to diagnostic my Corvette.

The injectors arrived, they are rebuilt and tested, BOSCH,Design III EV6 24lbs, four hole.

JW  
Retired, raced Corvettes in SCCA for 20 years. Own a 1990 Corvette and a 1979 Corvette.

JW72
Posted: 04/07/14 07:17 PM

Wayne,

I am looking into information about TPI, fuel rails, EGR valves, fuel regulator valve, EGR temp switch, fuel pump relay, EGR solenoid, EGR valve, fuel pressure regulator, idle control valve, throttle position sensor and anything else than may give my Corvette the problems that I am having.  

I am assembling a OBD 1 diagnostic system, using a computer software program, cable for the OBD 1 connector located in the Corvette and my laptop.  Then I will be able to diagnostic my Corvette.

The injectors arrived, they are rebuilt and tested, BOSCH,Design III EV6 24lbs, four hole.

JW  

wayne712222
Posted: 04/07/14 08:14 PM

once you get the scan tool set up.. it will go a LOT easier...

what info do you need..

its available in print from your corvette service manual...

its available online from alldatadiy dot com  or eautorepair dot net

or.. a training manual for TPI..

http://carburetor-manual.com/tuned-port-fuel-injection-service-repair-workshop-manual-p-127.html

i have not examined the pages in this one..  

JW72
Posted: 04/08/14 09:28 AM

Wayne,

Thank you for all of the information.  I am building a rather large section of documentation for TPI, fuel system, electrical systems, diagnostics and other areas.

I am waiting for the cable from the OBD 1 to laptop and another diagnostic computer program.  The first computer program is junk and I am asking for my money back.

A)  New fuel pump, HEI performance ignition module, cap, rotor, heavy duty HEI ignition coil, vacuum advance, ignition pickup.  All wiring and spark plugs wires to be examined and replaced if necessary.  New E3 spark plugs have been installed.  Inspect the rest of the distributor.  

B)  New fuel pump, inspect fuel line, test fuel line pressure. New fuel filter already installed.  

Start engine after A and after B.  

By the time I complete A and B the items I need for the diagnostic check should have been delivered.  

Diagnostic check.  If problem still exist, continue on to the TPI system and wiring.

I am starting a log, with pictures and movies.  Will make sure you receive copies.

JW  

wayne712222
Posted: 04/08/14 11:00 AM

there should NOT be a vacuum advance on your distributor..

this is what you should have... and i have not seen a new 4 pin EST harness for it in a decade..  the U518 cap harness is available at almost every AZ..

L98 Estdistributor Zps60072237  

TO TOP