Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

1973 Corvette 350 4spd

1ronald
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/27/14 09:25 PM

Will a IROC Camaro 305 5spd, T5, fit into my 1973 corvette with out a lot of work and not cut up my consol  

wayne712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 01/28/14 02:39 AM

i saw that forum post elsewhere..

looks like a lot of work.. and some creative fabrication..

i wonder how easy the 81 to 86 GM spec A833 overdrive would fit..  it has a 22 spline input shaft.  but the overall length might work...

i just read a blog over at hot rod magazine that one of the better suppliers of 5 and 6 speed stuff got sandbagged by the other companies salesforce and bloggers  and has filed chaptor 7..  what will happen now.. ?

is your 73 still equipped with the quadrajet???

i know some quadrajet tuning stuff that might help you get better MPG..  you might want to source out a 76 to 79 corvette or chevy truck 350 quadrajet as they are easier to modify and you won't be messing up your original..  look into APT adjustments..  adjustable part throttle..  an air fuel ratio display and an oxygen sensor bung installed in the downpipe.. as you only need to use the air fuel ratio meter for a few days to get the adjustments..

i did the APT adjustment on a 76 pickup carb.. i could see the owners smile building as i got closer and closer during the dry hops across his tiny parking lot..  i did not go into the fuel economy tuning as it was just a local shop truck..

he had not idea that a single screw adjustment could make SO MUCH difference in how a truck ran..

the APT adjustment on early 75 and earlier quadrajets are kinda hard to adjust.. compared to the later versions. it will take some creative selection to find a model with very similar vacuum ports to the 73 carb..

as the 73 carb uses the EGR flow at fast idle warm up to warm the intake under the carb..  

JW72
Posted: 04/08/14 02:52 PM

Not sure why you would want to install a T5 speed, except for the 5th gear overdrive.  

Things to look for:
 1) Bolt pattern on bell housing to match T5 transmission ?
 2) The pilot shaft spline, to match the clutch disk ?
 3) The tail shaft spline, to match the drive shaft yoke / U-joint  ?
 4) The 73 Corvette stock crossmember welded to the frame rails that the rear of the 73 transmission bolts to, has to be moved or you can purchase a custom crossmember bracket.  The T5 case / tail shaft has to be milled so that the tail shaft will properly fit over the stock crossmember and then attached to the custom bracket.  Or you can cut out the center of the crossmember and make you own bracket.
 5) Then there is the clutch, mechanical or slave ?
 6) BUT, the biggest problem is the T5 is a top loader. Which means that the gear shift is on top of the transmission and not on the drivers side like a T10 or Muncie transmission. The tail shaft has to be milled for an opening in the side of the tail shaft for a side mount shift adapter to be installed.

There are outfits that converts T5's to fit any car, sell installation kits.  Just arrange for a bank loan and give them a call.

There is some discussion as to the lack of room to install a T5, with the stock crossmember still installed.  Move the engine forward, remove the bell housing ???

If I was to attempt to this, using a Chevy T5 or T56 ? Not all Ford transmissions match Chevy's.

A)  Bellhousing: Drill and tap holes and threads in existing bell housing to match transmission. By using the stock bell housing you will be able to use the stock mechanical clutch, fly wheel and starter.  The clutch plate will have to be matched to the transmission front spline.
 B)  Crossmember: If you don't have the skills or tools to cut the center of the transmission crossmenber, order the adapter.  BUT, then you will have to mill the transmission tail shaft,          for the stock crossmember and as long is this is been done, mill the tail shaft for the side mounted shifting linkage. I would call to see if the tail shaft could be exchanged or send yours to be milled.  If this is to be done, then you should also purchase the side mounted shift linkage.
 C)  Drive shaft: has to be shorten and yoke matched to the transmission.

Tip:  When removing a transmission that is used as motor mounts for the back of the engine.
   Disconnect the transmission mount, jack up the back of the engine until the transmission mount can be removed.  Wrap a sturdy chain around the frame side rails on each side, place a 2x4 piece of wood between the oil pan and chain.  Lower jack, remove transmission.

The above sounds so simple, just so simple, why do I have a headache in just writing this !!!!

JW  
Retired, raced Corvettes in SCCA for 20 years. Own a 1990 Corvette and a 1979 Corvette.

JW72
Posted: 04/08/14 02:52 PM

Not sure why you would want to install a T5 speed, except for the 5th gear overdrive.  

Things to look for:
 1) Bolt pattern on bell housing to match T5 transmission ?
 2) The pilot shaft spline, to match the clutch disk ?
 3) The tail shaft spline, to match the drive shaft yoke / U-joint  ?
 4) The 73 Corvette stock crossmember welded to the frame rails that the rear of the 73 transmission bolts to, has to be moved or you can purchase a custom crossmember bracket.  The T5 case / tail shaft has to be milled so that the tail shaft will properly fit over the stock crossmember and then attached to the custom bracket.  Or you can cut out the center of the crossmember and make you own bracket.
 5) Then there is the clutch, mechanical or slave ?
 6) BUT, the biggest problem is the T5 is a top loader. Which means that the gear shift is on top of the transmission and not on the drivers side like a T10 or Muncie transmission. The tail shaft has to be milled for an opening in the side of the tail shaft for a side mount shift adapter to be installed.

There are outfits that converts T5's to fit any car, sell installation kits.  Just arrange for a bank loan and give them a call.

There is some discussion as to the lack of room to install a T5, with the stock crossmember still installed.  Move the engine forward, remove the bell housing ???

If I was to attempt to this, using a Chevy T5 or T56 ? Not all Ford transmissions match Chevy's.

A)  Bellhousing: Drill and tap holes and threads in existing bell housing to match transmission. By using the stock bell housing you will be able to use the stock mechanical clutch, fly wheel and starter.  The clutch plate will have to be matched to the transmission front spline.
 B)  Crossmember: If you don't have the skills or tools to cut the center of the transmission crossmenber, order the adapter.  BUT, then you will have to mill the transmission tail shaft,          for the stock crossmember and as long is this is been done, mill the tail shaft for the side mounted shifting linkage. I would call to see if the tail shaft could be exchanged or send yours to be milled.  If this is to be done, then you should also purchase the side mounted shift linkage.
 C)  Drive shaft: has to be shorten and yoke matched to the transmission.

Tip:  When removing a transmission that is used as motor mounts for the back of the engine.
   Disconnect the transmission mount, jack up the back of the engine until the transmission mount can be removed.  Wrap a sturdy chain around the frame side rails on each side, place a 2x4 piece of wood between the oil pan and chain.  Lower jack, remove transmission.

The above sounds so simple, just so simple, why do I have a headache in just writing this !!!!

JW  
Retired, raced Corvettes in SCCA for 20 years. Own a 1990 Corvette and a 1979 Corvette.

TO TOP