Item Posts    Sort Order

Can anyone recommend a dependable service tech in East Texas area?

Cherokee0
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/24/13 07:41 AM

Would like to find a dependable service tech in east Texas area for a 67, 427, 3 deuce....mainly for tune-up and carb adjustment. Running good but would like to bring it to peak performance. I was told there used to be a fellow at Lewis Chev in Canton, but he's no longer there. Thanks for any help you may provide.  

waynep712222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 09/24/13 11:50 AM

the question is.. where should i get my car serviced.. where they won't let some teenager lot valet run it into a wall.. or fry the skins off the tires on some adventure in the back streets .  

have you installed a stand alone battery powered GPS tracker.. with ignition kill  so you can watch it on your cell phone..  or installed an hidden rev limiter. that has plug in limits.  so they cannot exceed your engines operating limits..

over at the mopar magazine forums.. somebody had a 512 big block that would not rev over 4200 rpms.. turned out the built into the distributor was set there by the engine builder to prevent the owner from exploding the engine before it was broken in.. and he was trying to exceed that 4200 rpms in any fashion he could..  he went as far as posting videos with the camera stuck to the side of that super smooth 70 charger..

hang out and perhaps some texas forum members might drop in with an answer...

the tool truck guy may know where he has gone???? but the tool truck guys only come around once a week to collect their payments..

mechanical lifter cars also require valve adjustments..

dwell settings unless you have transistor ignition that was an option on those..

then ignition timing check.. adjustment..

then swapping out the spark plugs for new ones...

finally adjusting the carbs..  using a vacuum gauge.. but usually.. most holley idle mixture screws are somewhere between 5/8 and 3/4 of a turn open..  if they are the ones in the metering block..

since dealerships have replaced their TECHs with parts changers.. who could not adjust a valve on a solid lifter motor if you taped my hands to theirs... i don't know what you are going to do..  

waynep712222
Posted: 09/24/13 11:58 AM

there are a bunch of race tracks in texas...  near some that have sprint cup and nationwide classes.. you might find some race shops that can handle your car without destroying it.. or changing parts for the profit. or changing parts because they really don't understand how they work...

or changing parts because somebody on the street told them that a spark plug in a heater hose is actually a performance mod..

be sure to take a camera with you.. so you can take pictures with the techs who are going to work on your ride...

sorry.. i am a mechanic.. i have seen it all..  and worse..  i have actually seen people break things..so they can charge to fix them.. one of them was a VW repair shop owner i really respected..  

Cherokee0
Posted: 09/24/13 01:49 PM

Thanks waynep.....all very savvy advice. To bad you're not in this neck of the woods.  

waynep712222
Posted: 09/24/13 10:42 PM

i know..  i wish i was not stuck here taking care of family members. i miss having my rollaway out and loaded with tools.. pushing its ugly beast around the shop..

the vw repair shop owner.. i made a mistake one day while helping them out.. i fixed the the brother the co owners car without asking..

he was yelling at me thru the cognac and coke a cola. and i did not know if i should run or hug him..  

he was repeating that he is so mad at me that he wants to rip my head off but he loves me like a son and respects me more than anybody else and something about me being the best mechanic he ever met..

this went on for about 2 minutes.. until he took a breath.. then i jumped in a car and left..

he was hard headed... an LT1 96 camaro came in with misfire..  i looked at it as i walked by.. said.. change the ignition coil.. thats all thats wrong with it..  he replaced the optispark cap and rotor.. still misfired.. changed the spark plugs and wires.. still misfired..  while they were plotting on what to do now.. i walked over and installed a new ignition coil that i always kept on the top of my tool box..  fired it up and it was smooth.. i pointed out the obvious high voltage leaks and that they were paying me for my brain.. so why take 2 days to do stuff that is not needed..

COIL Highvoltageleakage

perhaps i really should buy a new tool box. maybe i will.. but thieves have ignored my old beat up box when they have rolled others that did not have 1/4 the tools in them that i ***

Waynes Toolssmall4  

76Skylark
Posted: 01/15/14 02:12 PM

I think I have seen that photo Before... was anyone hurt in the Explosion.  

TO TOP