Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Just Wondering

scottr50
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/11/13 11:48 AM

Im going tomorrow to purchase an 84. Were lots to choose from. My favorite had the carb swap I've read so much about here in the forums. In the end I think I'm going to go with one that has not had the swap. I know headaches I may be in for but my concern is the eventual value of an "all original vehicle" It seems to me that it may eventually be more desirable.  Looking for input. Great Forum by the way. It will very useful I'm sure.  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 02/11/13 10:27 PM

wow... this also depends on where you live...

if you live in an area or are planning on reselling the car in an area where smog inspections are required... a CARB will Not pass a smog test on a crossfire in most states...

your knowledge of automotive electronics is needed usually with a crossfire car...   they are usually less expensive to repair than the L98 fuel injected motors..

you will want to check out the post i put up on scan tools for C4 corvettes...

you will also want to closely examine the 4 rear suspension links.. some will probably need to have the bushings repairs

if the air cleaner and housing is off.. not an easy thing on a C4 crossfire.. engine off grab the throttle levers on the open them slightly.. shake them to see if they have an excess amount of wear.. that can cause idle issues ..

there are a bunch of corvette parts suppliers catalogs you will want..

some of these cars can be jumped in a driven.. some cannot.. so drive it..   make sure that the check engine light comes on when you turn the key on.. and that it turns out 5 seconds after the engine starts..

will C4 crossfire cars increase in price over the next few years.. hard to say...

modified cars are harder to sell usually...  

scottr50
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/12/13 04:15 AM

Thank you.  All good points to consider. I waited a long time to buy my first Vette, selling is an afterthought. The "plan" is to have it a long long time! Im old school, I would prefer it be as original as possible. I have passed on cars with aftermarket stereos etc. so aftermarket intake worries me. Not sure who did the swap and when. From the posts here it doesnt sound like an easy thing to do and done wrong...? Thanks Again!  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 02/12/13 06:48 AM

if you buy a crossfire... or a later L98 TPI version..

a few additional things.. you will want to swap out the early style coolant temp sensor.. for a SU102 from autozone or wells.. under 20 bucks..

the early dual ring contacts were marginal at best..   and will greatly effect how your car runs..  there might be some of the original style versions kicking around.. but for under 20 bucks. you will probably want to change it and the pigtail..

ps... if the engine needs rebuilding.. i know that 383 stroker motors work really well with the crossfire...  as long as you don't over cam the engine..  and yes.. you can do this to your existing block and heads without external visual differences.. other than other people seeing a lot more of your taillights.. and the huge smile that forms across your face..  

TO TOP