Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Headlight Problem / Help!

wb2weo
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/03/12 04:47 AM

I own a 2003 Corvette Coupe with flip up headlights.  Yesterday, after I washed the car I decided to wipe dry the headlights. With the key in the ASSC position I rotated the light switch on the steering column from OFF through (Parking Lights) to the Head Light on position. After cleaning the lights, I rotated the switch again...Lights...Parking Lights...to OFF.
The headlights extinguish (as they are supposed to do) and rotated down into the body (as they are supposed to do).  However, the motors (in each headlight) continue to run, even in the OFF position. They make a terrible grinding noise.  To stop the noise I must rotate the switch to the Parking Light position. However the Parking Lights stay ON. Even with the Ignition Key in the OFF Position.  I CANNOT extinguish the parking lights (the headlights go up in this position, but are not lit) and believe they should do that. I disconnected the battery for now and I'm looking for some help.  I also tried taking the car for a ride and exercising the switch a couple of times....and disconnected and reconnected the battery (cold boot) still no change.
Is there a limit switch that needs to be replaced?
What did I do wrong?  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 12/03/12 08:13 AM

sounds like the gear teeth have failed inside the pop up actuator...

if you depress the pop up doors... with your hands.. will the motors stop...

there are several articles in the 2 corvette web sites here that have a head light door motor gear replacement article... let me take a look around and see if i can find it...  

waynep71222
Posted: 12/03/12 08:30 AM

here is an article to read thru and look at each image as there is text with each image...

http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/33098/

i see that some of the corvette suppliers sell reman motors...

are you sure that both motors are grinding???

waynep71222
Posted: 12/03/12 08:40 AM

seems the dorman 42400 actuator gear seems to fit your application.

Chevrolet Corvette 2004-97; Pontiac Firebird 2002-93; Saturn SC, Coupe 1996-91, replaces damaged gear inside motor

this is easily available from local parts stores.

since this fits the application... i should let you know..

that out there someplace is a custom machined brass gear..

i have seen it posted around..

here is the article i was looking for.. the headlight gear replacement on a C5 in the other corvette site..

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_0406_c5light_gearing_up/viewall.html  

wb2weonj
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/26/12 05:19 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tip.  I purchased the brass gear kit and will be installing after the holidays.

Don
WB2WEO  

TO TOP