Item Posts    Sort Order

engine idle

glovell
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/06/12 01:27 PM

i have a 1984 c4 350 crossfired injection it idles fast and seemsto get faster as the engine hheats up to a point i cant figure out why  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 08/07/12 11:12 PM

fast engine idle could be a vacuum leak from your POWER BRAKE BOOSTER... or some other source...

there are several hoses that can be leaking..

do you have an OBD1 scan tool to look at the live data stream..

verify the idle air counts are between 20 and 50 at normal idle speed..

that your engine coolant is reaching temps above 210F... the fans come on at 228F on that model... they are ONLY controlled by the radiator fan switch thats USUALLY in the right cylinder head between the 6 and 8 cylinder spark plugs.. last two on the passenger side...  

a bad engine coolant temp sensor...   there are under 20 buck upgrade kits for the coolant temp sensor.. SU102 kit at AZ.. don't worry.. ask for it by part number.. their computer is wrong it does fit your car..

a missing or broken thermostat or a bypassed fan that runs all the time will keep the engine coolant temp below where the computer will let the engine idle down by reducing the idle air counts..

there is a post i put up a while back.. you can go through the active posts to find the scan tools that work with C4 corvettes..

there are also data charts there...  

TO TOP