Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Passenger Door will not open

ScottysVette
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/21/12 10:41 AM

Please help me on this one.  Confused The passenger door opened just fine for as long as I have owned the car (about a year). However, the car was not drivable until a couple of weeks ago. After its first successful launch, Grin  since 2007, I am unable to open the passenger's door Frown . I didn't hit any potholes or hard bumps. I tried getting in the seat and ramming the door open. No luck. It has power locks and I've tried to open it from the inside and outside while messing with the door lock switch. Everything sounds ok. It is kind of difficult to take the inside door panel off so I can see if something came loose. Is there an alternate way to open the door? Has anyone dealt with this situation? Thanks for your time.  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 08/21/12 02:37 PM

i have run into this on a LOT of other GM cars....

first...   door latch LOGIC..

if the system is UNLOCKED...  either side will open the door..

if the system is LOCKED...    NEITHER side will open the door..

if the system is LOCKED... and EITHER HANDLE is slightly pulled...    IT WILL NOT allow the latch to UNLOCK...
this last part is where you are hanging up at..

one of the door handles, either inner or outer is partially applied.. and preventing the door lock from UNLOCKING... so you cannot open the door..

if you operate the door lock on the side that opens.. and operate the door lock on the side that is JAMMED.. you will feel slightly less movement..    the door lock just moves slightly less..

there are several things that can cause this..  

it normally takes me 20 minute to an hour of fishing in the door with a pair of 3/16 uncoated welding rods to figure out what is holding...

on a corvette.. i would imagine that the outer door opening rod is depressed to open the door... so you might have to get in through the gap with the window down.. and lift up while somebody operates the lock.. unlock.. lock.. unlock.. if you listen .. you might hear or feel it go just a little farther.. at that point the door may open...

i would depress the outer handle a few times and release it.. so it snaps back to its stop.. then try the UNLOCK ...

you can pick up some 1/4" nylon tube or 1/4" shrink tubing.. slip that onto the length of the 3/16 welding rod... so you don't scratch or scrape things as you go up and down in the door..  

ScottysVette
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/23/12 03:23 AM

Thank you for your help. I finally got the door open. I had to pull up on the outside door button then play with the door lock switch a few times. After that, the door opened right up.  

TO TOP