Item Posts    Sort Order

63 temperature guage

kardoctor51
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/06/12 12:33 PM

I need help to find out what is causing the temperature gauge to pin at the max.Run the car, and the the gauge stays at 180 degrees.  Park the car and in a few minutes the gauge goes to the max of the needle travel. Disconnect the batttery and wait a day or two the gauge goes back to the lowest position until the car is driven and parked again.  Any ideas?  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 08/07/12 11:01 PM

find the TEMP SENDING UNIT .. probably screwed into the left cylinder head between the #1 and #3 spark plugs.. (first two on the drivers side..)   disconnect the wire... turn the key on.. does the gauge swing all the way in one direction.. it should...

turn key off...   ground this usually GREEN wire.. turn key ON.. the gauge should swing all the way the other way... turn key OFF..

this KEY on with the WIRE SHORTED to ground is a 5 second test...  this shows that the temp sender wiring is working as is the gauge.

there should be one or two braided ground cables to connect to the body ground system..  if those are not properly attached... or the gauges are not properly grounded... since there is only ONE wire connecting between the engine temp sensor .. and the gauge.. the GROUND side is really important..

i have a few minutes worth of test if you have a hand held digital volt meter to check that the basic ground connections are properly hooked up...

i seem to recall that the 63 has the battery in the back...

use a single side of a jumper cable set to  test from the negative side... to the front of the car where you can get at it with the volt meter leads... for tests 2, 3, 4.

print the image below.. and post results by number..

VOLTAGE Drop Testing  

TO TOP