Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Headlight problems/Please help

manmason101
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 11/13/11 09:15 AM

I have an 87' convertible corvette that i love very much. about two days ago after checking my fluid, i was shutting my hood and when i let the hood drop into place from about half a foot the head light started to make this noise that sounded like it was trying to open the head lights but something was preventing it to do so. I immediatly opened the hood and disconnected the power to the headlight motor and it stopped. I tried reconnecting the power to the headlight motor and the problem persisted. This problem is really confusing to me because I can still manually  raise the headlight and and the actual lights are still operational. If anybody could give me any advice on what the problem might be and how to remedy the situation i would be eternally grateful.  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 11/14/11 11:56 AM

you might have one of the relays sticking..  

you will have to go through the headlight diagnostics trouble shooting section..

i will see what i can find later today/tonight..

you will need to start with the wiring diagrams for the headlights..

0900C1528008fda5

i would really start the search at the various ground wire connections...  i think they are up near the hood hinge area..  and the ground wires get snagged on stuff..

check the ground wire from the negative battery cable .. the small one that grounds the chassis.  

Air_John
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/22/12 11:23 AM

Almost a year later to add my thoughts, sounds like it is one of the contacts inside the headlight motor is defective. In the 1984 to 1987 headlight motors there is a set of 2 spring loaded contacts that open and close depending on the load on the motor. They are there to shut the motor off when the headlight reaches full opened or closed position. How it works, the motor has a worm gear, when the headlight door reach's its limit and stops the motor is still running, causes the torque on the worm drive to exert pressure to kick back from the other gear. That shifts the motor shaft one direction or another depending on weather it is trying to open or close. The motor is mounted in such a way that the complete rotating portion of the motor can slide forward or backward causing an arm to open a set of contacts, thus telling the motor no more voltage, stop running. Simple version, when the motor over torques it shifts position, causes the contacts to open, shuts motor off. Motor is now set to rotate in the opposite direction, ie, turn the other way until the same over torque thing happens and the OTHER set of contacts open and stops the motor. Pictures below show the contacts and the spring that lets the shaft move forward and reverse to operate the contacts that stop the motor.

IMG 6152 A Zps7a1a207d[/img]

IMG 6159 B Zps6b2924e3

IMG 6161 A Zps5329ee35  

TO TOP