Item Posts    Sort Order

Fuel question

ScottysVette
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/24/11 04:01 PM

I was recently given an 82 Corvette by my uncle. About 15 years ago he converted to a carburetor. Before he gave it to me he said the fuel pump didn't work. I removed the sending unit and noticed it needed to be changed as well as the pump. My question is should I put another fuel pump in or convert to a standard unit with a mechanical pump? I did notice the return line was plugged with a bolt at the carburetor. My uncle can't remember what was done. Its been working with the original electric pump since 82. Any help would be great.  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 08/24/11 08:56 PM

there is usually on TPI to carb conversions a fuel pressure regulator to reduce the pressure down below 6 PSI... to avoid overpowering the floats..

lately there have been a LOT of conversions done..  using a bypass fuel pressure regulator so the fuel pump lives a LOT longer...  these fuel pumps DO NOT have much of a bypass valve in them when the pressure gets above what the regulator maintains it at..

let me throw out some part numbers for you...
Airtex Master/Fuel Pump For your 1982 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7L TBI
Part Number: E3901
Maximum Free Flow Rate (gph): 35
Maximum Pressure Range (psi): 17
Minimum Free Flow Rate (gph): 35
Minimum Pressure Range (psi): 12
Outlet Size: Outlet - 3/8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there is a slightly shorter lower pressure pump...

Airtex Master/Fuel Pump Part Number: E3903
Maximum Free Flow Rate (gph): 35
Maximum Pressure Range (psi): 5
Minimum Free Flow Rate (gph): 20
Minimum Pressure Range (psi): 3
Outlet Size: Outlet - 3/8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this might also help...

Airtex Master/Fuel Pump Tank Seal
For your 1982 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7L TBI  Part Number: TS3000
Gasket Material: Fuel-resistant polymer
Gasket Thickness: 0.6
Package Contents: Tank Seal

the C4 models take a rectangular shape ...

please..  find some super magnets..   radio shack.. a starter shop where they might hand you some of the broken magnets from a small starter motor.. to drop into the BOTTOM of the gas tank..    why.. the super strong magnets will pull any and all the rust from the fuel system.. hog it all up .. won't share any with the fuel filters..  

waynep7122
Posted: 08/24/11 09:03 PM

another thing that might help if you need to return the return line to service..

a speedometer cable core..   one of the universal speedo cores can be used like a plumbing snake to clean out some of the debris that might have accumulated inside the fuel lines..

as for putting a push rod back in the motor.. and a mechanical fuel pump.. i know in the later years.. that GM did away with the fuel pump eccentric lobe on the cam shaft. but i don't know what year they did it.. there is about a 90 percent chance yours does have a fuel pump lobe..

please be sure to buy the proper strainer for the fuel pump...  on the same receipt as the fuel pump.. or the fuel pump warrantee will be void..  

ScottysVette
Posted: 08/25/11 03:54 PM

Thank you so much for the input. I figured I would go with an electric pump setup.  I kind of like the pressure regulator idea. Good idea with the magnets. I work on aircraft and the Turbo props have these circular super magnets. I'll put a few of those in there.  

waynep7122
Posted: 08/25/11 06:07 PM

i have a scary aircraft story for you...  a bunch of decades ago.. a friend bought some DC7's  in florida..  several were damaged beyond repair..   they put the best parts on one and started flying that one..  while checking the elevator control cables.. they found that the vent hole in the tail caused a drip  right onto the cable rusting it out in a blind area that would never be seen except when replacing the ..  another 7 a few years later from florida nose dived at the end of the run way.. ???

have any pilots ever mentioned the brilliant white 7 sitting in the middle of the columbia jungle..  up to its belly in mud???  that one was the one they fixed up.. it was sold and resold.. but there was a problem with the electrical circuit that feathered the prop on the number 3 motor as i recall.   at take off power.. the fuse would blow and the prop would go flat.. putting up a big flat wall of spinning prop..
it only took a few seconds if one was prepared to change out the fuse ..  but for some reason.. the last set of pilots were not informed.. and since they were 400 miles from any where in the middle of the jungle..  nobody cared to warn them..

i wonder if anybody has chopped up the 7 for aluminum sheet to make roofing???

that plane was always a headache...  when they landed it at santo domingo.. while awaiting the turn around load...  people had come on the air field and were stripping parts from the brake system...

in hilo.. the radio crystals were stolen..  funny.. the air port manager happened to have a complete spare set.. only 10 grand..  i wonder if he still has them..   its nice to have spare parts in stock even if they are not with the plane..

the owner was a former b29 co pilot.. so he and his pals were used to flying without some items...  like a radio or brakes..
on one run in the 29 over japan.. the cockpit filled with smoke..  as the pilot called for everybody to bail out.  he looked down and saw japan..  he got the side cutters and got down to where the smoke was coming from  and started cutting wires that fed into that box..  until the smoke stopped.. seems it was the voltage regulator for the #3 engines gen set..  a lot of other planes had not made it back mysteriously..... they flew back following other planes.. without electrical power..   boeing figured out the problem and fixed every other plane..      they did loose 3 engines after V2 first one.. then another then the third. ...  ditched the bomb load and brought it around and put it back on the ground..  my friend said he had his feet on the instrument panel and was pulling with both hands trying to get the nose up  prior to the crash.. but they all got out..  

ScottysVette
Posted: 08/26/11 03:42 PM

WOW! Crazy story. Thank you for helping me out. I ended up ording the whole sending unit with fuel pump from www.ecklers.com. The costomer service was really nice and they offered a discount just to keep up with the competition. I'll keep posting new stuff as I continue to figure out this awesome machine.  

waynep7122
Posted: 08/27/11 05:48 AM

glad you are getting it together

did you see all the articles on the C3???

type C3 into the search window above right...   and there is a second vette magazine on this site also.. with even more...  

TO TOP