Item Posts    Sort Order

1970 Stingray Corvette 454 and 390 horsepower- Help out of ideas

Alonso4034
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/08/11 02:07 PM

Ive replaced tthe starter and done an oil change and new gas tank and got a new battery and got a new positive battery cable cause it was stripped hal;f way threw and was touching metal and well i just cant get the car to go. its getting lose to a year of a project and i wanna be able to ride it out already, i try to start it and the fan spins and the engines is turning and i hold it for about 4-5 seconds but no start, i do it again and it does the same thing so i try once again and it spins once then just like chokes it seems, then after that it just chokes right away every time?? idk this has been a problem for a while now?? any help would be great right now.  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/08/11 10:21 PM

lets start from scratch...

when cranking..   if you pour a tiny amount of gasoline into the carb and then crank the motor ... does the engine run for a few seconds.... yes or no...

if Yes.. it runs for a few seconds..   then you have a fuel problem...

if NO.....   check for spark at one of the spark plug wires...  or at the coil wire with it unplugged from the center of the distributer cap...   and yes.. i know you have the shield all in place..

spark goes from the coil to the coil wire... to the distributer cap . to the rotor..  to the cap again.. to the spark plug wires... the spark plugs.. the cylinder heads then the intake and back to the distributer housing...  it has to make a complete circle...  even though you cannot see or feel it once in the block and heads..

########################

fuel...

spark...

air...

what kind of ignition system are you running..   points or factory electronic/ transistor ignition...

###########################

when you said.. you had a problem with the battery cables burning...

can you verify that you did not burn a fusible link... either at the starter or at the horn relay....

do you have a wiring diagram for your car..  

Alonso4034
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/09/11 10:28 AM

ill try putting a little gas in the carb then let you know and i believe im running on points, i have no experience with distributor. The cable runs under the car from the very back to almost the very front, it goes over and under lots of things and well one of the brackets used to keep it on the frame got old and broke off and so the wire then was rubbing on idk what it was but it has to do with the rear axle i believe and it spins and was rubbing on the wire and messed it all up but i got a new one and put it in.  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/09/11 03:04 PM

keep us posted on how its coming...  

TO TOP