Item Posts    Sort Order

Bought my 1st Corvette. Roadtrip to get it next week. Need HELP!

Cobrargc
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/30/11 01:49 PM

Guys,

I’m new to the site and I like what I see.  I have a few questions I need help with ASAP.

I’m flying to Texas on Wednesday to drive back a C5 that I bought on Ebay.  This will be my 1st Corvette and I know you guys will have all my answers. I’m committed to the purchase with my $500 deposit, but they remainder of the money stays in my pocket until I’m certain the car isn’t a basket case. It’s a 2000 convertible with a 6 speed manual and 48K miles.  Not only do I want this to be as nice as it appeared in the photos, it also has to get me back home.

1. How can I quickly find any engine codes that might be present and brought to the sellers attention?

2. I’ve read about the early C5 battery issue, but am not going to be able to pull the battery to inspect for prior leakage onto PCM.  Is there any room on these cars to see under the battery compartment?

3. Are there any other C5 specific issues I can look at quickly?

The Ebay AutoCheck was good. I did a Carfax and it was good. I hired an independant inspector that gave it an overall 90 out of 100.  I've NEVER bought anything sight unseen and almost think I'm crazy to even have considered it.  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/30/11 03:54 PM

do you have a scan tool???  invest in one...

i have NOT tried it on the C5 models...   but.. there is a chance that you can push the Off and warmer buttons at the same time on the climate controls to access the trouble codes...    some caddys still have this ability..   i have heard that C5 and C6 cars can do this..  

the least expensive unit that actually does a great job is the harbor freight 98614 at around 120 bucks......  the next decent unit.. is the 500 buck OTC 3499N...

good luck with your purchase...  

Cobrargc
Posted: 08/02/11 01:42 PM

No scantol yet.  Thanks forthe help.  Let you know how the trip goes.  

corvettemods
Posted: 06/15/12 10:41 PM

You're going to need a stretch fit mask for the front of your C5 corvette for sure....

Corvette Modshas them!  

TO TOP