Item Posts    Sort Order

HEADER WRAP

Randy-67
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/22/11 07:51 AM

I have just wrapped my side pipes in "header wrap" and it has been very effective so far. Does anybody know if this can cause any longterm problems due to keeping the heat in or anything else? I am also thinking of using some type of "padding" under the carpeting and under the console...any suggestions? Thanks a lot!!
   Randy  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/22/11 08:04 AM

header wrap on the side pipes.. thats creative thinking..  

depending on your wallet..    you can also create half pipe heat shields that clamp on to the exhaust pipes..    you only really need about  a quarter inch of air space  between the pipe and the inside of the heat shield but must not touch the body..

there has been discussion in the nascar area.. of building ducts that the exhaust fits inside to allow airflow through to limit the heat transfer to the inside of the car..    think of a formed clam shell around the under car exhaust..  with air inlets and outlets or louvers...  even a upper half shell...  would work around the exhaust..  to prevent heat from getting to the drivers feet and also heating the inside of the drivers area...

another idea was to use small openings at high pressure and low pressure areas.. to allow the airflow over the car to properly exchange the drivers area air..  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/22/11 08:08 AM

oh.. making heat shields your self...    have a decent muffler shop or tube supplier bend / duplicate the length of exhaust pipe you need to insulate from the body using exhaust pipe or stainless pipe of 1/2" to 3/4 inch larger in diameter..

then slicing it  in half along the horizontal length leaving tabs along the way to weld or bolt to the exhaust. and more to bend in to support the heat shield away from the exhaust pipe...    yes this is a PAIN in the ...   but cooler feet will be had at almost any cost..  

TO TOP